Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Last year we had a moose down before last light and quartering continued well after dark.
    Just 2 of us. One guy always held a gun on lookout while the other worked.
    We also kept a fire going and got a quad in close - left it running.

You guys are paranoid ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    You guys are paranoid ...
    all grizzly bears are out to eat hunters this is a fact lol

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    What caliber do you pack?
    From 1977 till about 14 yrs ago a 30-06, last 14 years a 300 WM. Buddy has a 7 mm.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    From 1977 till about 14 yrs ago a 30-06, last 14 years a 300 WM. Buddy has a 7 mm.
    Started with a 30/30 in '65 followed by a 303, 308 Norma, 300 Win, 375 H&H & finally a 45/70 GG.

Forget about the fire, it may even attract bears. A few years back I posted about some hunters from Alberta having a bear approach & trying to drag a moose away right in front of a roaring fire.

If we have to leave the game overnight then we circle the area with orange flagging about 2 feet high. Next morning while approaching the marked area we have our rifles ready to shoot at a seconds notice. We also listen carefully to the birds/rodents & watch for ravens/owls...

When gutting/quartering one guy keeps a keen eye on the surroundings & ready for immediate action if necessary.
    For protection a CRF rifle is better. Also preferably no scope!

Read about Caspell, Fumerton grizzly attack. Both let their guard down while field dressing an elk & unfortunately paid the ultimate price!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Smile Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

From AOF in 2012-asked for permission.
    HW-AGGRESSIVE Bear at Moose Camp!!
    Just recently figured out the Picture Loading thing, lol lol lol, Wanted to share this story, we were hunting by Manning, Alberta, a friend had a Bull Moose tag there, he got a great bull, well that night while have drinks by the fire at about 10:30, we heard a bear prowling the campsite, well this cinnamon bear came in and tried to steal the moose head, so my friend is having a tug of war with this bear, the bear then began growling and snorting in the dark, tough to see him at times, and then he got REALLY AGGRESSIVE and the bear had to be Destroyed, by camping in a Tent the RISK Factor was too Great, it was pretty intense at times!!!

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

CONTINUED

Crazy story! Good pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Ron could you please post a link to the alarm you are talking about ? Also how you would rig it up for a perimeter alarm .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    I bought mine when HBC did a buy several years back.

There's a new version out. Anyone interested in inquiring about a group buy?

www.packalarm.net

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I bought mine when HBC did a buy several years back.

There's a new version out. Anyone interested in inquiring about a group buy?

www.packalarm.net
    Im tempted but we're heading out next Friday. Probably not enough time.