Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I bought mine when HBC did a buy several years back.

There's a new version out. Anyone interested in inquiring about a group buy?

www.packalarm.net
    Hi Ron
    Do you know ifr HBC will be offering another group buy on those pack alarms ? I do not know who is the Big Kahuna of HBC.
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Hi Ron
    Do you know ifr HBC will be offering another group buy on those pack alarms ? I do not know who is the Big Kahuna of HBC.
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    I'll get ahold of Marc and see if he wants to do another

I think this is a good thread as well.
    Years ago, like 20- 30, we ended up packing out a lot of game.
    My Dad, being my dad, and me being to young to have input, he would always say, "just leave the guns at camp"
    His reasoning was, the guns were just more crap to pack around, when it was just the 2 of us, with miles and miles
    to go in out with full back boards.
    The other reasoning was, never see Grizz, so don't worry about.
    He was right, back then we never saw grizz or even sign, and even back, rarely even bbear.
    Probably cause back then, there were "no road closures", so lots of guys just driving in and out.
    And back then, gbear were open game.
    Knew quite a few guys who pulled out gbear in the 9 -10 ft area....no bs.
    Those bear knew to "vacate", pronto, when any human showed up.
    It didn't take long, once leh was reduced to a minimum, for those bears to already start loitering around camp, especially
    if game was around.
    Now, they come in "just because"....(they like the BBQ), and bike seats.

Anyways, whatever one used to think, and their past experiences, I suggest to rethink it these days.
    I just have seen enough now, to really take seriously.
    As for my dad, yup, he gets it now....too many close calls for him the last few years.

Yes they need to be hunted. Fear of humans is generally an inheritable genetic trait but can also be learned. When predatory animals are not hunted, predators that are not genetically fearful of humans or have not learned to be fearful of humans do well on the abundance of food close to people and produce more non-fearful predators that may pose a serious threat to people, their pets and livestock. Thus, these predatory animals need to be hunted for human safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I'll get ahold of Marc and see if he wants to do another
    Thanks Ron ! As mentioned before I am in, and solid saying this !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I think this is a good thread as well.
    Years ago, like 20- 30, we ended up packing out a lot of game.
    My Dad, being my dad, and me being to young to have input, he would always say, "just leave the guns at camp"
    His reasoning was, the guns were just more crap to pack around, when it was just the 2 of us, with miles and miles
    to go in out with full back boards.
    The other reasoning was, never see Grizz, so don't worry about.
    He was right, back then we never saw grizz or even sign, and even back, rarely even bbear.
    Probably cause back then, there were "no road closures", so lots of guys just driving in and out.
    And back then, gbear were open game.
    Knew quite a few guys who pulled out gbear in the 9 -10 ft area....no bs.
    Those bear knew to "vacate", pronto, when any human showed up.
    It didn't take long, once leh was reduced to a minimum, for those bears to already start loitering around camp, especially
    if game was around.
    Now, they come in "just because"....(they like the BBQ), and bike seats.

Anyways, whatever one used to think, and their past experiences, I suggest to rethink it these days.
    I just have seen enough now, to really take seriously.
    As for my dad, yup, he gets it now....too many close calls for him the last few years.
    Bugle M In
    I was never into Grizzly hunting just not my thing Black Bear sure ! Still need to get my first one though, LOL !
    Did you use A Trapper Nelson pack board back then ?
    Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
    I was never into Grizzly hunting just not my thing Black Bear sure ! Still need to get my first one though, LOL !
    Arctic Lake
    Lets see if I can find you a picture!
    My Dad has a trapper Nelson, and yup, still uses it!
    I, on the other hand, use a wilderness wanderer, so that also gives you my time frame.
    Don't have those fancy new Kuii thing a ma jiggees!!
    Even have some old backpacks that were guaranteed to remove all your skin and take it into your flesh.
    (thought it was blood from the goat...nope, it's was from me and the whole shirt was soaked!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Lets see if I can find you a picture!
    My Dad has a trapper Nelson, and yup, still uses it!
    I, on the other hand, use a wilderness wanderer, so that also gives you my time frame.
    Don't have those fancy new Kuii thing a ma jiggees!!
    Even have some old backpacks that were guaranteed to remove all your skin and take it into your flesh.
    (thought it was blood from the goat...nope, it's was from me and the whole shirt was soaked!)
    Would love to se some pictures ! That last sentence is priceless !
    Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
    Arctic Lake
    That below is my old man, with, yes, the Trapper Nelson.
    I'm the good looking one

I hunt in a populated grizzly area and a person has to think about what should I do to help stop a grizzly bear encounter .

Solo hunting just me,,what I do when I hunt solo in the evening hunt if I get a elk down or moose I will clean it out put
    logs under the animal to keep the animal off the warm ground chest up 1200 oc I leave it till the next morning.

Why I do this is I don't want to be packing out quarters etc most of the night solo the chances of a grizzly encounter is very hi.

If there where 2 or more people with me at my hunting camp then we would have as much bear defense as possible meaning lights
    on shotguns or other,,bear spay ,bear banger etc and get the meat out that night.

Solo I would rather leave the animal in the bush that night and take that chance that there will be no bear on the animal the next
    morning than having an encounter with a grizzly bear packing out meat in the dark,,my life is more important than a downed
    animal..

Morning hunts are much better for hunts if you get a big game animal down a person has all day to get it out during the daylight hours.
    Believe me I arrow-ed a 5x5 bull elk at 715 am in 2015 I got all back to my hunting camp solo by 530pm.

Bottom line is go with what your in stinks are and you should be making the correct decision..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 09-23-2018 at 04:03 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..