Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Quote Originally Posted by rustybarrel View Post
    I used to be one of those guys that could care less about running into a Grizzly since I hunt areas that I “thought” were Grizzle free/rare/ or Only other guys bump into them.Well 15 years ago a friend and I went black bear hunting not too far from Squamish(before folks agreed that there were Grizzlies around there too), and we went walking up a slash to look at a road to see if we could get through.We did not take our rifles, and walked 1/2 mile and looked at a huge berry field...saw a cub, laughed at how cute it was, then another, then I said look how brown that bear is,and it sure doesn’t look like black bear cub.Pull up binos and there is a good size sow about 100yds away- Brown,hump on neck- clear as day its a Griz.My friend says ...”your an idiot, it’s a brown phase, black bear”...so I hand him my binos. “ shit, that a Griz!”.He looks at me,I look at him,and we realize we have no guns.The look on his face( and mine too) was like we just saw a ghost.I was worried, but we quickly backed out of there and hustled back to the truck.
    Few years later I heard other folks were seeing Grizz closer to Squamish....so we’re not seeing things.
    The point of my ramble is that “ you never know”.When I hunt I don’t look for a Grizzly around every tree stump, but I do feel better with 7mm remmag on my back.I live in Coquitlam and regularly bump into good size black bears walking my dog around Burke Mnt.With everyone now “in love” with bears,and wanting to have them as a pet, along with the Grizz hunting ban, I think Grizz will become more plentiful, just like Black bears have become as common as crows around here.
    If your a Grizz, why not move closer to cheap, easy food? Humans are no harm now,and they might even taste good...

See I don’t understand why you were so worried. I have hunted them with bow and muzzleloader but have not tagged one because of being picky and the boars I wanted would run away or slink off during the stalk. I have fished and camped in many areas with grizzly around no gun. I have crossed paths with them many times throughout BC and western Alberta

Yes they should be respected and can be dangerous but really they are not out to kill everything they cross paths with lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    See I don’t understand why you were so worried. I have hunted them with bow and muzzleloader but have not tagged one because of being picky and the boars I wanted would run away or slink off during the stalk. I have fished and camped in many areas with grizzly around no gun. I have crossed paths with them many times throughout BC and western Alberta

Yes they should be respected and can be dangerous but really they are not out to kill everything they cross paths with lol
    I think using caution and having tools to protect yourself is wise. Its kind of like wearing your seatbelt when driving, you never know when that jack ass is going to cut you off

Quote Originally Posted by scttlp86 View Post
    I think using caution and having tools to protect yourself is wise. Its kind of like wearing your seatbelt when driving, you never know when that jack ass is going to cut you off
    and for those of us that don't spend allot of time around them maybe don't have the knowledge of bear behavior or habits that can keep us out of their path

Fully agree!

The problem nowadays is that the bear numbers are way up. When hunting in the 60's, 70's we'd be lucky to see a bear or 2 per trip. On my last 3 day hunting trip in the Gang, Big Creek area I counted 14 not including many others my hunting partners saw.

They don't run away from people like they used to. A nearby hunting camp was approached by bears every night.

A bear spray may or may not ward off a curious bear but why take a chance!

Have an adequate weapon ready for instant use especially in the bushy, watery areas & carry a large knife.

Personally I have zero fear of black bear but take extra precautions when I see fresh grizz signs.

Some HBC members have been attacked by grizz while hunting or scouting.
    Here's one from 2013

The sow was sprayed in the face to no avail. The shotgun saved the day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rnie-1.1329837
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Treadwell figured gbears were no big deal.....then his luck ran out.

Just to clarify...Iam not the bravest man by any means;however, when I was a young buck& going to UBC, I guided on a northern coastal river for steelhead in the summers.The guy I worked for was also a premier Grizzly & Goat hunting guide out of Bella Coola.He was a very rugged, self made guy-and very knowledgeable/respected hunting & fishing guide.He did not tell “tales”...was old school, no BS.A tough guy to work for.
    He told me about Grizzly encounters he and his hunters had that literally scared the shit out of me and the others who heard them.He also flew me over some very huge Grizzly bears in the Dean, Kimsquit, Sustut valleys in his Supercub.When you see a record class silvertip running at full speed( like a horse at full gallop) below your plane, and it looks as big as the Supercub...you grow some respect.
    Walk through 6-7 foot high, thick as hell, Devils club in heavy, dark, first growth forest after hearing about how Grizzlies stalked him and a hunter the year before in the next valley over,and I dare you not to be making sure your rifle has a round in it and your magazine is full.
    One thing he told me and has stuck, is that Grizzlies are individuals and unpredictable, they have unique personalities- like us.You never know when you may run into a one that is just a nasty SOB, and wants to rip you to shreds,or pissed cause you bumped too close to his buried kill, or is a Sow with cubs that is agitated because some Bore has been trying to kill her cubs...If Grizzlies were predictable, and nothing to be concerned about, we would not have people getting mauled and killed. They deserve respect.

^^^^^this is exactly correct

Nothing wrong with that but I don’t want to be anywhere near the guy with a fear problem of grizzly if crap hits the fan because everything but the bear is getting shot. Or the guy who feels the need to shoot or shoot at a grizz because it’s within a 100yards

This is my bigger issue ^^

If grizzly scare the crap out of you odds are in a real oh crap moment you are going to have an empty clip, and Sh!t in your pants praying the noise and the fact you stink makes the grizzly change it’s mind

Fully aware grizzly can chew on you but this is far from the biggest threat in the bush. There is a % of bad black bear out there too and most hunters are likely to cross bath with them before a bad grizzly because of black bears covering so many different habitats vs grizzly. Yet the guy who spends a week a year in grizzly territory thinks he is going to be eaten by a grizzly

This is nothing about being manly it’s I am worried about Hunters in the bush fearing the boogeyman more then the grizzlies. Someone who is scared is less predictable then a bear

[QUOTE=mpotzold;2037937]Fully agree!

The problem nowadays is that the bear numbers are way up. When hunting in the 60's, 70's we'd be lucky to see a bear or 2 per trip. On my last 3 day hunting trip in the Gang, Big Creek area I counted 14 not including many others my hunting partners saw.

They don't run away from people like they used to. A nearby hunting camp was approached by bears every night.

Case in point!

California –where black bears are hunted. 322 have been taken as of yesterday. Season open until 1700 are killed.
    Here’s a bear encounter from 2 days ago. Notice how quickly the bear hightailed it once he smelled a human. Hunting instills fear of humans in bears be they black or grizz.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POCx...ature=youtu.be

STORY-By dthome
    "I hunted a new area last night (for deer), and saw a ton of both deer and bear sign. I climbed to a good vantage overlooking foraging grounds, and just waited. I arrived at about 5:00pm, and around 6:00, I could hear a bear coming down the hill to forage. He never appeared in the open, but there was no doubt what it was. Then, about 6:15, I heard another bear coming down the mountain. I obviously wasn’t hunting bear, so I put my rifle down, pulled out my phone, and put it on video mode. When the bear got close enough, I started recording. I was blown away when this guy appeared at 8 yards below me. As you can see, this guy is a very respectable bear. Shortly after he steps into the open, he stops short, when I’m certain he caught my scent. But I think he caught the scent I left on the ground and vegetation, because you can see him smelling the surrounding area (where I climbed up an hour prior). It’s only when the wind swirls and brings my scent to him that he realizes I’m right friggin’ nearby, and he hightails it out of there. Unreal!!!
    Turn up the volume so you can hear this guy:"

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

When you see more bears than moose, there are too many bears. I suspect in a couple of years there will be regular grizzly mauling going on