Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    My buddy got chewed up on Saturday. He had seen 7 grizz that day. Wound are generally superficial, except his tricep got chomped pretty hard and there was a minor surgery to patch it up. Bruises and puncture wounds otherwise. He fought it off
    What did he do to stop the attack? Gun, knife Bear spray? or did the bear just not like the way he tasted

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    My buddy got chewed up on Saturday. He had seen 7 grizz that day. Wound are generally superficial, except his tricep got chomped pretty hard and there was a minor surgery to patch it up. Bruises and puncture wounds otherwise. He fought it off
    Geez ! Not good to hear ,I wish him a speedy recovery !
    Arctic Lake

I was up in Region 6 on Saturday. Hiked in to a spot at first light where I had found some fresh rubs the day before. It was a fairly large poplar stand and the only sign I was seeing was moose and a bit of wolf. Pretty limited sightlines but being late September I was fairly confident that I could call a bull in close enough for a shot. I got hunkered down in the poplars and started cow calling. After the third call, I heard a twig snap about 50 yards away. The bush was super quiet so I was really feeling good about detecting any movement. About 5 minutes after the twig snap, I was barely able to hear some footsteps heading my way. Heart pumping, focussing on controlling my breathing, planning my possible shooting lanes - all the great stuff when you have a bull coming in. The footsteps got a bit clearer. I figured the bull was only about 20 yards away hidden by a little draw. I was a bit confused that I couldn't make out a rack moving along that draw so close. Maybe a small bull? Maybe I miscalculated the depth of that draw? Then I see just a tiny brown patch moving 30 feet away. Rifle up, I get ready to see my bull. Then Mr. Grizzly pops out! 30 feet away!! He swings his head my way and I take a step to my right. He sees me, spins around and takes off down the hill sounding like someone was driving a jeep through the bush. Whew!!!!

All I could think of was "What if the bush had been a bit noisier?" I think I would not have heard him. I mean I'm still, 2 days later, shook up by how quiet that Grizz came in. Unbelievable! They're stealthy buggers!!

I've been hunting moose this way for decades. It's absolutely my favourite way to hunt. But in the last 3 years, I've called in coyotes, wolves, and now a G-Bear. Might have to start rethinking my tactics......

Here are the pictures of the bears entering into our Camp area. Once we realized they had climbed the tree to get my meat we moved a trail cam to an adjacent tree to watch the actions I'm sure most of you have never seen pictures like these.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Anything can happen with Gbears. Listen to the Meat Eater podcast called 'Meat Tree'. Its an eye opener for sure.
    I just finished listening to that a few days ago. The fact that they all walked away, with only soiled underwear instead of pulling out a guy severely mauled is amazing.

Have had bears in moose camp, but never on the kill, but that may just be related to where and what I hunt now, been a long time since I've been moose hunting (sadly).

Someone earlier asked about defining grizzly country. If I see this, I'm probably in Gcountry.

From last weeks hunting trip with heavy rain overnight, just a little guy, but wasn't there long before I was.

Guys with scars from contact with G-bears in the EK is getting to be about as common as dog boxes in the back of pickups. If we chose to avoid Grizzly country, we'd never leave the city.

I spend a ton of time solo in bear country (its all bear country) and a lot of the time with no more defense than my bush skills. I cut a lot of trail and use cameras in the off season. I'm in the bush year round. I know in one area I hunt, I have a large boar, a small boar, two 4 year old twins, a sow with a cub, and a sow with two cubs. All grizzly. On one occasion last summer, I walked onto a kill. Just pick up the pace and move on quickly.

One area we have decided not to return to had a total of 11 grizzlies. One large aggressive (fast) boar that was just to risky to spend time around. They are aggressive to protect home, food and young. Stay alert and pay attention. If your number comes up, then you have something to boast about on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Here are the pictures of the bears entering into our Camp area. Once we realized they had climbed the tree to get my meat we moved a trail cam to an adjacent tree to watch the actions I'm sure most of you have never seen pictures like these.

Enjoy.

Wow! GREAT PHOTOS!
    So much for climbing a tree to get away from a grizz!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BABBY View Post
    I was up in Region 6 on Saturday. Hiked in to a spot at first light where I had found some fresh rubs the day before. It was a fairly large poplar stand and the only sign I was seeing was moose and a bit of wolf. Pretty limited sightlines but being late September I was fairly confident that I could call a bull in close enough for a shot. I got hunkered down in the poplars and started cow calling. After the third call, I heard a twig snap about 50 yards away. The bush was super quiet so I was really feeling good about detecting any movement. About 5 minutes after the twig snap, I was barely able to hear some footsteps heading my way. Heart pumping, focussing on controlling my breathing, planning my possible shooting lanes - all the great stuff when you have a bull coming in. The footsteps got a bit clearer. I figured the bull was only about 20 yards away hidden by a little draw. I was a bit confused that I couldn't make out a rack moving along that draw so close. Maybe a small bull? Maybe I miscalculated the depth of that draw? Then I see just a tiny brown patch moving 30 feet away. Rifle up, I get ready to see my bull. Then Mr. Grizzly pops out! 30 feet away!! He swings his head my way and I take a step to my right. He sees me, spins around and takes off down the hill sounding like someone was driving a jeep through the bush. Whew!!!!

All I could think of was "What if the bush had been a bit noisier?" I think I would not have heard him. I mean I'm still, 2 days later, shook up by how quiet that Grizz came in. Unbelievable! They're stealthy buggers!!

I've been hunting moose this way for decades. It's absolutely my favourite way to hunt. But in the last 3 years, I've called in coyotes, wolves, and now a G-Bear. Might have to start rethinking my tactics......
    Good you are ok....yes they are very sneaky quiet. Exactly as per my post #6. Speaking from lots of experience which is why I don’t mess around processing/packing in the dark. Have frequently called them in and always in evenings.
    Last edited by northof49; 09-24-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Too bad about your cape and meat but you did get aome awesome pics.

A lot of people don't realize that Grizzlies can/will climb trees if the branches are big enough.

Bears are athletes extraordinaire...

Unless they are handicapped by injury, over weight, or to old and or some how unmotivated, there strength and endurance are incredible!

I have video from one of my cams of big boars scaling tree's 6" in diameter.

Running up the tree with there back feet while grabbing the tree with, hell, may as well call them hands!

If your going to hang your food or harvest from a tree, you better shape-shift into a Bear and realize what they can do, or your wasting your time!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..