Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Agree with above. We move the quarters away from the gut pile if we can't take it all and try to leave in a place with good visibility. Watch and listen before walking into the meat cache. Have used the dirty underwear trick for a while and so far so good lol. We usually light a fire, good for peace of mind, warming up, cooking meat and smoke helps keep the flies off. I like to keep the rifle handy, not strapped to a pack and watch my back trail. We make lots of noise, usually laughing our asses off at each other. My brother usually sings most of the way out if its dark. Might be good to teach your son to use bear spray in case there is a close encounter.

Wow seems like lots here have had bear encounters after killing game.....Ive hunted since the late 70's and mostly in griz country,bagging game nearly every yr and have never had a grizzly or a black bear show at a kill site.Call me lucky!
    We have however shot 3 bears in our camps over the yrs,seems to take them about 1-2 days to hone in on food smell then generally stick around but out of site till dark.Keep a clean camp and youll have less to worry about

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

yes, do not keep rifle strapped to backpack!
    I know I guy who shot a GBear Boar, had it all on his pack, and rifle slung over pack as well for comfort reasons.
    Well, he walked smack dab right into a sow, who had cubs (some distance off still however).
    The scent of that boar carried straight to the sow, and next thing you know, sow coming straight, full bore at him.
    He barely got a hold of the rifle!!! in time.....
    Then he had "2 bears down"....luckily, and yes, a phone call to CO's....
    So much fun, isn't it at times!!???

Its really mostly related to the area, how far from camp or truck, time of day etc etc but common sense and figuring out what you can do to mitigate the danger is somewhat different each time. DON'T EVER retrieve or come back to get the animal without a firearm. Ive been bush hunting moose on foot since 1981 in heavy grizzly country, see them regularily, mostly in close as vision is limited. Only once out of some 30 ish moose we harvested have we had an extremely stressful and dangerous encounter. WEve had them stand up on an old skid trail 40 yds away and woof at us as we pass along a trail and while that's concerning it wasn't at all life threatening. However one time we shot a bull moose a long ways from ATV access and had to build a float to carry the atv across a deep waterway and cut our way in to the animal which took a long time the following day after the kill. We had all the meat out and my buddy went back and a boar came at my partner silently from the kill site, luckily my buddy heard him walking through a low wet runoff area so he came to a shooting position and the griz never missed a beat and walked straight at him from 35 ft with no backing off despite yelling so he dropped at 25 feet with a thud. Never seen fear in someones eyes like he had that day, it was erie..
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

not much to add here bugle m in gave you almost same advise as i would....i come back for the trim and cycle the quarters toghether....
    i am a fan of a packing gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Good idea.
    Maybe a Bluetooth speaker and some "Metallica" to boot....(just kidding with the music, but perimeter alarm sounds good)

Did you buy that, or just made at home??
    What do you use??
    purchased it. Same one I use around my tent when spiking out.

Often hunt in grizzly terrain. I carry bear spray. No need for handgun or big caliber IMO. Use common sense, be alert, stay alert. Get your meat, pack out as far as possible away from the gut pile. Animals will go for the guts first because high calorie. If I cannot get to the truck, I hang meat as high up in a tree as possible a few hundred meters away from camp. Keep your rifle ready to go in the tent at night. On our opening weekend hunt we saw a sow with cubs within a kilometer of camp and meat. They never touched it. We made lots of noise, they don't want to deal with humans. The gut pile was about 2KM away from camp up high on a slope. There was another 4pt in that valley but we decided not to hunt that spot anymore because of proximity to the gut pile.
    I have seen lots of grizz in places I hunt and never had an issue. If you see an animal sitting on a gut pile, just leave....

What is considered "bear country "?

I don't have any experience with grizzlies and they are pretty much a myth where I hunt, but the black bears are plentiful and we've worked well into the night gutting and packing out bears a couple of times, one of which was our first bear. That year we had a bear grazing around the small feeding area we were in within a few yards of us. We scared it away a couple times with the air horn, but it always came back a few minutes later and the third time around it didn't care about the air horn at all. Pretty unnerving working on a bear with another one hanging around in petting distance. I can't imagine if it was a grizz... I'm sure it would have bumped us off the kill in a rag doll like fashion.

Working on an animal in the dark is spooky enough with cats and blackies around. We talk pretty loud to communicate to other animals we're a crowd, confident, dominant, etc (I know enough about grizz to know that 2 is not going to make them crowd shy) One person is always dedicated to having their head on a swivel while working on the animal and while packing out. Gun is always in reach.

I personally don't like the ideas of fires. To each their own. In my experience fire does not deter animals... deer, moose, black bear, raccoons, snowshoe hare, etc. I don't think grizzlies would be much different. Sometimes I thought a fire would bring more comfort and confidence, but all it really does is masque noises and screw up my night vision so I can't see more than 10 feet around me. I'd need a lot more convincing that fires actually deter grizz, otherwise it would just be giving me a handicap, several seconds (maybe even minutes) to realise and prepare for the threat.

Just a quick message while on this subject. This is for all you Vancouver Island guys going into Grizzly country for the first time. If you spot a big mound of freshly dug up dirt or see some birds working a dead critter,DO NOT investigate out of curiousity. Often a Grizzly is close by guarding a kill. Had a friend hunting with his son who ended up standing on a mound of dirt wondering what it was when they noticed some moose antler poking out of the mound. Yes, a change of underwear was required. They were lucky and skidaddled out of there.