Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Having had experience with both aggressive black and grizzly bears while working in the bush, I totally agree with "Wild one's" post. I have been ready to shoot several times but never had to by standing my ground and talking calmly to the bear.
    Last edited by tomcat; 10-02-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Having had experience with both aggressive black and grizzly bears while working in the bush, I totally agree with "Wild one's" post. I have been ready to shoot several times but never had to by standing my ground and talking calmly to the bear.
    Staying calm doing as you have often is the best approach and have done the same

In my opinion most often a bear does not want to risk physical confrontation and is often trying to scare you well looking for a way out. People seem to forget even though a bear is physically powerful bears can’t seek medical aid so injury can mean slow death

But there are those A holes who just don’t care or they are willing to risk it, and there is the predatory bears unfortunately that don’t carry name tags lol

I've only met one bear that I am convinced wants to kill me. To be fair, I am trying to kill him too though. Ongoing saga since Spring 2017. 3 close encounters (5 yards, 7 yards and 6 inches) and some lead flying from 180 yards. One day... one day. I wonder if he is thinking about me right now lol

Most bears I run into (black bears only) are complete wusses. Never been charged by any others (dozens of surprise 3-15 yard encounters) ... almost tripped on and accidentally cornered one once too. Almost been run over but none have tried to maul me. They run and then run some more, thumping and crashing off into the distance out of ear shot. I always figure half the bear crap I see in the timber is from when the bear heard a grouse flush or a twig fall lol

I figure grizz are a different story though... more likely to bully a hunter out of a kill or claim said kill between trips. I'd keep my guard up processing or returning to a kill sight in grizzly area even if that makes me a paranoid 604 ... more scared of cats though... bit of a phobia