Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

[QUOTE=mpotzold;2037392]Yes!

She never goes hunting alone. I'm always close by & if we part we have instant ICOM radio contact. She also stays at camp for part of the day.
    Her rifle is sighted in using only Leverevolutions & she has no problem with the recoil.

OK i was just wondering BECAUSE the FTX is NOT a GREAT bullet to use as a PROTECTOR bullet against BEARS and you seem to be Pretty Much Protecting yourselfs against BEARS as i am too ! I would think you would have BETTER ammo for the Misses to use ! jmo RJ

Few years back, saw 35 diff gtizz in 2 days...different drainages no repeats. That includes fam units.

^^^^wow, and did you pack any meat out?? Have any problems with any?

Walk softly and carry a big gun Hahahahahaha - and don't put that garlic ring around yer neck lol --

Jelly ( Big Bear ) Mountain Top Bear Buster Boom Boom Jeff ree On -- at Save- on-Foods -- garlic rings 2 - 4 - 1
    ------------------------------------------------------- Big Bear --------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Few years back, saw 35 diff gtizz in 2 days...different drainages no repeats. That includes fam units.
    Must of Being a G BEAR Convention ! RJ

Maybe at this time you are best to road hunt if you're with a young kid and you're inexperienced. Nail a moose close to road and work on it fast and get it in truck. If you have a quad you can drag moose to logging road and work on it safer. Just a thought. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

Exactly what we would do!

Even after seeing fresh grizz scat, tracks, I/we become much more cautious & generally leave especially when the area is bushy & close to water.

Never let your guard down. In the summer of 2007 we set camp in a large clearing late in the afternoon near Gaspard creek making a lot of noise cutting firewood, yelling,talking....& a large grizz stalked us as soon as we approached the creek bank after camp was set.
    Right after getting our fishing rods ready the grizz charged us. Yelling & standing up is what changed his mind only feet away.

My weapon, a 375 H&H was by the camper less than 200 ft away. The only thing we had handy was a small knife & 2 stools.
    Lesson learned. When in grizz country always be ready for a bear charge. Have an adequate weapon within easy reach & be proficient with it.

According to Shelton it had all the makings of a predatory charge after going through the full details.

Nowadays when Eve & I hunt (both have 45/70 GG's) my gun is loaded with 420gr +P & 540gr+P when we see fresh grizz signs or retrieve game. Eve's is loaded with 325gr LEVEREVOLUTION. Her gun scope can easily be detached if needed.
    I also carry a large razor sharp knife as a last resort.

Another case showing that shooting the bear wasn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    Maybe at this time you are best to road hunt if you're with a young kid and you're inexperienced. Nail a moose close to road and work on it fast and get it in truck. If you have a quad you can drag moose to logging road and work on it safer. Just a thought. Good luck
    I am an experienced hunter but new to BC, so just no experience with Griz. I am not overly concerned but wanted to see what tips/tactics people used to be safe.

I never realized how many hunters stress this much about bears and bear protection

I used to be one of those guys that could care less about running into a Grizzly since I hunt areas that I “thought” were Grizzle free/rare/ or Only other guys bump into them.Well 15 years ago a friend and I went black bear hunting not too far from Squamish(before folks agreed that there were Grizzlies around there too), and we went walking up a slash to look at a road to see if we could get through.We did not take our rifles, and walked 1/2 mile and looked at a huge berry field...saw a cub, laughed at how cute it was, then another, then I said look how brown that bear is,and it sure doesn’t look like black bear cub.Pull up binos and there is a good size sow about 100yds away- Brown,hump on neck- clear as day its a Griz.My friend says ...”your an idiot, it’s a brown phase, black bear”...so I hand him my binos. “ shit, that a Griz!”.He looks at me,I look at him,and we realize we have no guns.The look on his face( and mine too) was like we just saw a ghost.I was worried, but we quickly backed out of there and hustled back to the truck.
    Few years later I heard other folks were seeing Grizz closer to Squamish....so we’re not seeing things.
    The point of my ramble is that “ you never know”.When I hunt I don’t look for a Grizzly around every tree stump, but I do feel better with 7mm remmag on my back.I live in Coquitlam and regularly bump into good size black bears walking my dog around Burke Mnt.With everyone now “in love” with bears,and wanting to have them as a pet, along with the Grizz hunting ban, I think Grizz will become more plentiful, just like Black bears have become as common as crows around here.
    If your a Grizz, why not move closer to cheap, easy food? Humans are no harm now,and they might even taste good...