Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    That below is my old man, with, yes, the Trapper Nelson.
    I'm the good looking one

absolutely awesome picture!!!!!! It screams what hunting is all about on so many ways....

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    So, question to all of you: if you saw these guys right in your hunting area, how many of you would be really ballsy and keep hunting the area?? We decided to vacate...but it really was disappointing, as it was a really good spot for elk..

Hard to say without understanding the lay of the land. I likely would have shifted 2kms or so (other aspect/drainage, etc) where mama won’t hear the bugling or gunshot. I typically have quite a few alternate locations that are good so no need to push it. Also time of day might change my approach. If early morning cover ground and create seperation. Prefer not to have to worry about bumping them late aft/early eve. All about managing risk and common sense. You trusted your instincts, and that seldom leads you astray. Good call.

Looking at photo again they look similar size....jumped the gun on mama thing. If both adults like look to be definitely you made the right call as they would be even more likely to come looking for trouble.
    Last edited by northof49; 09-23-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    That below is my old man, with, yes, the Trapper Nelson.
    I'm the good looking one

Thanks for posting that picture ! Just a great photo ! The Old Trapper Nelson ,I think they sold a lot of those .
    Arctic Lake

So, question to all of you: if you saw these guys right in your hunting area, how many of you would be really ballsy and keep hunting the area?? We decided to vacate...but it really was disappointing, as it was a really good spot for elk..
    During bow only season (early season), we continue to hunt an area. It's obviously good to know what's out there. But, there are a few factors determining whether we stay or move. Is the grizz shit full of berries? Or hair? Are they curious or aggressive to us? We've been pushed out of areas due to aggressive bears. But as I said, for the most part, we observe them and keep hunting.

I can tell you this.
    On my own, I would most defiantly leave that area "TO Him"!
    With a partner, I might go thru past him, but I would be thinking twice if a bull walked suddenly out as to if I would shoot,
    it would have to be a "monster booner"!
    With bow, no thanks, who needs the hassle, even with a partner, unless both of us are packing some sort of shotgun,
    sorry, but I my hunting partner is a "terrible shot"....so I don't trust the situation if it was just him with the slug gun.
    Agreed, berries in scat does ease tensions, and if you see a lot of scat, most likely from the same bear, it means he is getting his fill.
    However, I judge things not on the scat, BUT, rather on the amount of berries in the area.
    Not as concerned of a bear eating like this photo on grubs and berries.
    More concerned in running into a bear with a potential kill.
    My area concerns me during elk hunting, cause quite often the bears there have drooped a moose or MD.
    I have seen it, and the GO has seen it, and other accomplished hunters see it.
    So yes, it might be berry season, but some bears are veterans at dropping red meat.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I hunt in a populated grizzly area and a person has to think about what should I do to help stop a grizzly bear encounter .

Solo hunting just me,,what I do when I hunt solo in the evening hunt if I get a elk down or moose I will clean it out put
    logs under the animal to keep the animal off the warm ground chest up 1200 oc I leave it till the next morning.

Why I do this is I don't want to be packing out quarters etc most of the night solo the chances of a grizzly encounter is very hi.

If there where 2 or more people with me at my hunting camp then we would have as much bear defense as possible meaning lights
    on shotguns or other,,bear spay ,bear banger etc and get the meat out that night.

Solo I would rather leave the animal in the bush that night and take that chance that there will be no bear on the animal the next
    morning than having an encounter with a grizzly bear packing out meat in the dark,,my life is more important than a downed
    animal..

Morning hunts are much better for hunts if you get a big game animal down a person has all day to get it out during the daylight hours.
    Believe me I arrow-ed a 5x5 bull elk at 715 am in 2015 I got all back to my hunting camp solo by 530pm.

Bottom line is go with what your in stinks are and you should be making the correct decision..
    good advice with the logs under the game to "cool"
    Everyone, especially novices, need to know this once game is down, and you want to take the best care of the meat.
    "Get it Cooled Down", ASAP.

And I agree with you hunter, about morning hunts over evening hunts, something else many need to consider.
    Although I think many do, as it seems to me when I get back to camp in the dark, most others are already drunk.
    How's your hunting going H47?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    absolutely awesome picture!!!!!! It screams what hunting is all about on so many ways....
    Thanks Ron!
    Yup, it was the first season for my hunting partner, as the year before was his 1st time being anywehere having to do with hunting, so he brought a camera.
    He had first crack at bull, but the shakes got him bad, and even after I put the bull down, it took several minutes for his
    heartbeat and breath to come down.
    (He was hooked after that!).
    We missed are 1st chance at another bull at first light, and I thought the days hunt was over, as temps hit 30+!! by lunch.
    And then suddenly, this guy starts bugling and coming from 700 yards out, thru the timber and across 400 yards of
    cutblock, right to me.
    Buddy was in between, but when chance was best, he just couldn't calm down.
    I had to take him at full run, but only 10 yards from me.
    And my dad was sitting to my left a couple hundred yards to my left, so he got to watch, and was there to intercept if
    bull took flight, which was the direction he was running.
    So yes, a great day, everyone got to see the action, and we had all day to get meat prepared.
    We walked the meat "half way" back to camp, all of it, so it was away from the kill site, but, it takes a lot of work, and we
    couldn't get it all to camp, so we hung it near the river.
    That's us taking the first load to camp that night. (still had 7 kms to go)
    And yes, it was a day for shorts, and big smiles!

Grizzly's always make me nervous. I've only seen a few while out and about, and usually they are going the other way!
    Yesterday while stalking a nice 3pt wt I found myself in an area with dozens of ravens in the trees making a hell of a racket.
    Didn't stick around to see what was on, what I'm assuming to be, a gut pile. Made a bee line back the way I came and looked for another deer.

Question for you pack alarm owners. How long is the trip wire, and is it possible to make it longer with paracord or fishing line if necessary?

sam

Quote Originally Posted by sammer View Post
    Grizzly's always make me nervous. I've only seen a few while out and about, and usually they are going the other way!
    Yesterday while stalking a nice 3pt wt I found myself in an area with dozens of ravens in the trees making a hell of a racket.
    Didn't stick around to see what was on, what I'm assuming to be, a gut pile. Made a bee line back the way I came and looked for another deer.

Question for you pack alarm owners. How long is the trip wire, and is it possible to make it longer with paracord or fishing line if necessary?

sam
    It is long, about the perimeter of a basketball court I'm told, though I haven't strung out that big of an area...I would say you could alter the wire, but the longer it is, I would think it would have a greater probability of not functioning properly, especially since you are then cutting into the wire and re-tying so compromising its structural integrity..