Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Grizzly area

Re: Hunting in Grizzly area

We’ve been using a Pack Alarm for a few years now. They really work. Last year we had a grizzly come into camp about 1:30 AM. The alarm woke us up and sent the bear packing
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    all grizzly bears are out to eat hunters this is a fact lol
    Just the paranoid ones from the island lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I bought mine when HBC did a buy several years back.

There's a new version out. Anyone interested in inquiring about a group buy?

www.packalarm.net

Hi Ron
    I would be interested in buying one ! Would come in handy for all sorts of applications . Hopefully others will jump in ! Did they used to be a sponsor on here ?
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 09-19-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Hi Ron
    I would be interested in buying one ! Would come in handy for all sorts of applications . Hopefully others will jump in ! Did they used to be a sponsor on here ?
    Arctic Lake
    I would be interested

Me too. I jimmied one up this spring with one of those women's rape alarms and some 40lb test fishing line. It worked but it's a pita to deal with.

When I am in camp and in my tent I will park my truck close and if something wakes me up I will hit the alarm on the truck lights will flash and horn will blare or keep beeping till I have my rifle by my side and flash light.

I have hunted with pack horses close to 40 years in the back country. Had a few run in with grizzly. A trick I use is after I shoot an animal and have prepared for packing it out I cut an pole and tie a piece of flagging o. It . I then jam it into the remains upright. When I return with the pack animals I look to see if the pole is moving or k ocked down . You can see this from a distance. This has alerted me to a bear on the kill a few times over the 40 years. Bears are being defensive claiming the food.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    I have hunted with pack horses close to 40 years in the back country. Had a few run in with grizzly. A trick I use is after I shoot an animal and have prepared for packing it out I cut an pole and tie a piece of flagging o. It . I then jam it into the remains upright. When I return with the pack animals I look to see if the pole is moving or k ocked down . You can see this from a distance. This has alerted me to a bear on the kill a few times over the 40 years. Bears are being defensive claiming the food.
    good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by tuffcityhunter View Post
    very good point about the animal being burried after a kill with the bears. Sister was young and chased a grouse into the brush and ended up right on top of a kill she was definitely a little spooked after that about the bears. when we back out animals we try our best to circle up high on the kill site and glass back down on it if the visibility is low to see if anything is their. Packed a bison out of the bush once in the october draw. guys where watching us on the hill side and lucky for us the sow and cubs came in after our last trip just after we left. same trip one destroyed our bbq. as soon as we have a kill down the bear spray goes on.
    seen a grizz hunter once as he was getting loaded into the chopper. he shot his boar then compound fractured his leg not to far from the kill site. Spent his night up on the hill and definitely had to defend off the bears all night that as they where circling him all night long. scary times!!!!
    I'm fairly new to hunting big game, but to clarify you spray he animal down with Bear Spray? If so is that hide only or inside as well?
    Last edited by Akski; 09-20-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akski View Post
    I'm fairly new to hunting big game, but to clarify you spray he animal down with Bear Spray? If so is that hide only or inside as well?
    spray your fake down with bear spray?
    Bear spray is ataully an attractant. They will actually come and lick it off things that it's been sprayed on.