Thread: moose hunt in 5-04 cancelled

Angry moose hunt in 5-04 cancelled

finally got drawn for moose in 5-04 B only now the province has closed a good portion of that area & our native brethren want to close the rest, so I phoned the LEH branch of the gov. and told I was concerned for my safety because of all the controversy going on with the natives, He said to call the RCMP if we have a problem, yeah like theirs cell service. So I said we would like to cancel our LEH tags for this year and not have our odds reduced for 2019, He said it was up to us to whether we went hunting or not and that our odds would still be reduced by 66 % next year, so it seems that the GOV wants us get into a confrontation with the natives. Personally I think its all bullshit but my wife & son wont go moose hunting with me in the cariboo so I am screwed!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: moose hunt in 5-04 cancelled

by a ar platform 12gauge and go moose hunting...

when where you planning?

maybe cordinate with other drae holders and make 1 big camp..

Why not go as planed. i havent heard of any blockades as of yet or anything to be worried about. Confrontations can happen anywhere and with anyone. You got the draw so go try your best at getting a moose.

What is the government suppose to do? They have left the hunt opened even though FN canceled, good for the government. I think deferring to the RCMP about safety issues is correct (it would be nice if the RCMP did something though).

By you giving up your tags or not hunting you are essentially agreeing with the FN and choosing not to hunt, not the right thing to do IMO.

I get it is a crappy situation but make the best of it.

You mention that you were going with your wife and son, is it a shared hunt then ? If not and you are the LEH holder take along someone to go with you and leave the family at home or as suggested team up with others and make a big camp . Use your LEH draw !
    Arctic Lake

This was supposed to be a family shared hunt, if was just up to me I would go, but my wife who is my hunting partner wont go because of the issues with the natives we have had problems in the past same area.

I don't see how these developments are aimed at "the GOV wants us get into a confrontation with the natives".

I share your frustration, but just go and hunt the remainder the of the reduced MU. Good luck.

Maybe post about "when you are going" and see if there are others here who also are going and are concerned as well.
    Get together, and do the "convoy".
    But don't give up.
    But, if you can get a cam for the dashboard etc, or handheld, is always a good thought during these times.
    At least to show you were in the right, being legal etc.
    It cant hurt.