Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewel Lake Whitetail hunting ?

Jewel Lake Whitetail hunting ?

Last season I asked for some recommendations on somewhere I could take my son deer hunting on the mainland. I'm a relatively inexpercienced hunter myself, didn't grow up in a hunting family, just decided in my late 30's it's something I wanted to do. So as of last year I had never hunted off the Island and my son who was then 10yrs old had just completed his CORE and we were basically just look for recommendations as a starting point to begin some new area hunting as father and son. I receveied a bunch of great help from other members, including an offer from a member( Tomahawk) to join him and his grandson on their mule deer trip...we graciously accepted that offer and not only that, my son was able to harvest his first deer on that trip ! I posted the whole story here on Hbc, but can't figure how to attach a link. Anyway this year we've decided to try to find some whitetail, (believe it or not I've never actually seen a whitetail except possibly once in Alberta before I new the diffrence between species) and after much deliberations have rented a cabin at Jewel Lake for the 2nd week of October. I've never been there before, know nothing really about the area other than it suppossedly is good whitetail country. We don't really have much expectations for the trip other than hopefully learning something about the area and maybe seeing some deer, fully expect it to be more of scouting trip than a hunting trip but who knows our hopes are still high. It will just be me and my son again, we don't have a big group we hunt with or anything like that...so any help would be very much appreciated and definataly kept to ourselves. I won't cliche by saying "I'm not looking for honey holes"...lol, but seriously any points in the right direction from any guys or gals who know the area would be be very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brent
    feel free to pm if you'd rather.

Last edited by Islander30; 09-18-2018 at 09:14 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jewel Lake Whitetail hunting ?

Also if anyone has stayed there before, wondering how your experience was. I've heard they at one time had a cooler for hanging deer but is new owners now so this apparently isn't the case anymore ?

where is jewel lake?

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    where is jewel lake?
    Sorry should have been more specific...It's between Greenwood and Grand Forks...closer to Greenwood, 8-14

Thanks for the Pm's guys, definatlay gives us a good direction to start ! It was pointed out to me that Turkey and 6pt bulls are also open while we are there....curious to hear from anyone who specifically targets either of these in 8-14 ?

seen them both there.......

oh and killed a whitey buck. and tom. the bull had 5

I will be at jewel lake from October 4 to the 9th for our final camping trip of the year with friends and family .we will be hunting during our trip. Jewel lake is beautiful , we always try for a trip in the spring . What dates are you going to be there?

Quote Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
    I will be at jewel lake from October 4 to the 9th for our final camping trip of the year with friends and family .we will be hunting during our trip. Jewel lake is beautiful , we always try for a trip in the spring . What dates are you going to be there?
    We're going to be there from the 10th to 14th so unfortunately We'll just miss you...I actually didn't originally plan to coincide with the doe season, its just the way my holidays lined up...kind of weary about the doe season actually hope the area doesn't get to crazy with other hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    oh and killed a whitey buck. and tom. the bull had 5
    Awesome ! We're getting more excited every day...definatlay going to pick up a "just in case" elk tag, cause I already know what happens if I dont !