Thread: newbie looking for mentorship

newbie looking for mentorship

I'm 37 and am late to hunting but am eager to learn and am looking for opportunities to learn from hunters with experience. I live in penticton and just moved here from ontario. I have done some waterfowl and bear hunting in ontario but only got out a few times last year. I officially become a bc resident december 1 and i dont want to pay the non resident fees to hunt this season so i'm happy to wait until next year. BUT, i am very eager to start learning how to effectively scout for deer (black and whitetail), waterfowl, mountain goat, elk. I have private land that i can hunt on next year with lots of deer but i want to start learning the ropes of how to read the woods and find the sign. Just looking for someone to scout with and learn from to start out. I'm a carpenter, easy going, good sense of humour, practical, easy to get along with for sure. I have my PAL obviously and 2 rifles and 1 shotgun. even a couple hours shooting would be fun.....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: newbie looking for mentorship

It's been a few years since I lived in BC

But look into the regs on hunting waterfowl and/or upland game birds. I think it's easier/cheaper without being a resident hunter. Grouse would be a great way to get out and learn the woods a bit. Plus they are tasty!

There's tons of quail right outside my door. I spook them every morning when I leave for work.

if someone wants to go for bear/black/white tail in October - LMK I often going solo, but can go with someone who is new