Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Nations Pit Lamping?

First Nations Pit Lamping?

Just a legal question here,
    Are native folk actually allowed to discharge their firearm at night?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Nations Pit Lamping?

sad but true... legal jacklighting

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b-c-f...court-1.618478

B.C. First Nation can hunt at night: Supreme Court

Two aboriginal men from British Columbia have the right to hunt deer at night with lights, the Supreme Court ruled in a 4-3 decision Thursday.

• Facebook

• Twitter

• Email

• Reddit

• LinkedIn

CBC News · Posted: Dec 21, 2006 11:44 AM ET | Last Updated: December 21, 2006

Two aboriginal men from British Columbia have the right to hunt deer at night with lights, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled Thursday.
    In a 4-3 decision, the courtsided withIvan Morris and Carl Olsen, members of the Tsartlip First Nation of Vancouver Island.

The men had been convicted in a provincial court of hunting at night by flashlight, a practice that is illegal under B.C.'s Wildlife Act.
    But the Supreme Court said the men's treaty rights, in this case,prevail over provincial law. The court overturned theconvictions.
    The four judges who ruled in favour of the men saidthat the North Saanich Treaty, signed in 1852,allowsmodern Tsartlip people to hunt using traditional methods.
    And Tsartlip people traditionally hunted at night using lights, the judges said.
    Originally, the Tsartlip people would have used torchlight, bows and arrows, but their equipment must be allowed to evolve, the judges said.
    "And the use of guns, spotlights and motor vehicles reflects the current state of the evolution of the Tsartlip's historic hunting practices," the judges wrote ina summary of their decision.
    In the narrow decision, the three dissenting judges argued that night hunting is dangerous and the right to hunt unsafely is not protected by the treaty.
    Olsen and Morris were charged in 1996 after they fired five shots at a decoy deer set up by conservation officers to catch people hunting illegally. Olsen and Morris found the deer by flashlight.
    After the men lost their case in a provincial court and in the B.C. Court of Appeal, they took itto the Supreme Court. The high court heard their appeal last year.
    Decision renews night hunting debate

Lawyersfor the Tsartlip say Thursday's ruling by the high court means otheraboriginal people should be allowed to hunt at night in B.C. as well, without fear of prosecution.
    Louise Mandell notedthat other First Nations may not have treatyrights like the Tsartlip, but huntat nightand have the right to do so as aboriginal people.
    "I think that the decision definitelyshines a bright light on the province to make sure that those night-hunting practices are recognized," she said.
    However, the B.C. Wildlife Federation's Paul Adams is critical of the decision, calling it dangerous.
    He told CBC News that there is a question of public safety, especially in the densely-populatedSaanich Peninsula, north of Victoria, where the Tsartlip live and hunt.
    "The discharge of a rifle atnight time when you don't know what is beyond your target is a very dangerous thing for the general public."
    Meanwhile,aB.C. law professor said Thursday's judgment is significant at a broader level.
    "It shows that treaties can be paramount to provincial law," said John Borrows of the University of Victoria.
    "Treaties can have overriding influence over provincial laws. We've seen that before, but we've not seen it before in British Columbia with treaties."

Pretty sure they can and do anything they want without any repercussions.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

guest Guest

Very Dam Sickening really.

Some local FN just showed up at the dock and they are running the roads all night, shooting every little baby, doe or whatever moves they can find.
    I thought discharging a firearm at night was illegal regardless of race or rights because it is dangerous WTF

guest Guest

And the government wonders why theres racism ...... With decisions like this...... I wonder why.

HOW PATHETIC .

One law FOR ALL. ....... PERIOD.

What about my right and and my families right to be safe, don't we have a charter or something that covers this. The right to be safe should trump a mindless, wasteful slaughter.
    Stewards Of the Land

Quote Originally Posted by jiboo88 View Post
    Some local FN just showed up at the dock and they are running the roads all night, shooting every little baby, doe or whatever moves they can find.
    I thought discharging a firearm at night was illegal regardless of race or rights because it is dangerous WTF
    Absolutely disgusting... The appalling and sickening slaughter aside, discharging firearms at night IS a safety issue and it's absolutely atrocious that they get away with it. Curly top is exactly right. They act surprised and wonder why there's racism.. Really?

As far as I know ONLY 1 band actually have the right to pitlamp, the rest are just riding their coat tails on the assumption they won't be charged.
    Don't charge them with "pitlamping" charge them with Dangerous Use of a Firearm. Anytime you are unsure of your target or what may lay behing it IT'S F-ing DANGEROUS!!!! Period

1 land, 1 law, 1 people!!!!
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.