Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the case of the disappearing critters...

the case of the disappearing critters...

I hunt a section of land and put out several cameras over salt blocks and grain piles.
    During the summer months I get tons of pics of moose, elk, deer and bear. Come September and absolutely no pictures
    of any animals for a period of 10-14 days! After that they start to reappear again gradually...
    Note that this is not a one time event; I've seen the same phenomenon for several years now (I keep accurate records).
    Does anyone have any theories about what is happening here?
    Has anyone else experienced such "disappearances" ?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: the case of the disappearing critters...

rifles start dischargeing come August 15th in your area,games not stupid time to head for the hills

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

I have a spot south of John that has tons of elk pictures: bulls/cows/calves from April to Sept 1. I can count on both hands the number of pictures I have of elk after Sept 1.....and this is after 5 years. I have no idea where they go and why......but they do...every single year.

Moose is different, they are steady all year long. Not lots, just enough to keep you interested.

Most of the summer and early fall lots of whitetail does/fawns and small bucks. Come the first of November, the boys come out of the wood work, not sure where they are all summer and early fall, but they are not in the 80 ha latch I hunt.

In another spot, I had a steady stream of WT all summer/fall long and killed a 150 buck in November, that was the first year I hunted this spot. In the last 4 years, I have less than 50 pictures of WT and thousands of MD and have not seen a good WT buck since the first year.

It's these "mysteries" that keep it very interesting and are part of my drive to hunt!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Cougars and wolves...and maybe nearby hunting pressure..same thing happened in my area last few years. So I no longer hunt there.

I have cameras that see similar patterns where critters disappear at the end of August. In those cases I don't think it is hunting pressure. In one case the cam was about 8km in deep old growth in a provincial park where not only have I never seen another hunter, but the season (bow season included) does not start until Sep 10th.

I always figured weather and temps had something to do with the pattern change, as this is usually when it starts to get chilly, which can trigger movements. I think I figured out where deer move to in one of my areas though and it's all about food. A couple different grocery stores and you can pick the one where produce is all dried up then rotting or the other where everything is still fresh.

Another thing to consider is at this time of year, deer aren't salt starved. There is less reason for them to hit up the cam sites. I used to put salt a little ways off good trails, but last year I started putting them right on the trails. I got a little more action.

Now you mentioned that your critters come back. Mine don't, at least in remotely comparable numbers.

Velvet shedding another factor maybe? Together we can crack the code !

Mom takes sucking babies out for first munchy on grass whoa! Move to area to show baby where to go ( Diet change ) from milk to off milk --
    As long as baby sucks titty the doe won't go dry -- when baby stops sucking doe goes dry needs to get knocked up again.
    Jel - Baby born in June then sucks -- July August grass and takes baby to new spot to eat twigs in bushes and then back again on daily chores.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 09-18-2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Ravens Rule the Roost

[QUOTE=Sitkaspruce;2035285]I have a spot south of John that has tons of elk pictures: bulls/cows/calves from April to Sept 1. I can count on both hands the number of pictures I have of elk after Sept 1.....and this is after 5 years. I have no idea where they go and why......but they do...every single year.

It is interesting how you are having almost exactly the same experience that I am. And in the same general region (I am North of FSJ)...
    Right now I am waiting for some critters to start showing up again!

I believe it's related to any bull moose GOS, gun shots and quads ripping down every single trail out there....it's a lot of pressure very quickly, they head for their holes and then slowly resume back to normal
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

I think it has something to do with a school bus. As soon as it shows up the deer and moose disappear. Till December then they come out again.
    One gent set up a trail camera in some nasty bush. He was surprised how many animals walked past it.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I have always found that at least for elk, mineral use drops way off after mid-August.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever