Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the case of the disappearing critters...

Re: the case of the disappearing critters...

Possibly going to shed their velvet.
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

Interesting thread, and sounds legit.
    Wonder if there are any "collaring projects" in your areas going on.
    If so, maybe the local bio can shed some light as to either movement, or just hiding, meaning still around, which would
    mean something like food source change or yes, even shedding.
    Interested to see where this ends up.

For me, pressure does not play a part as there is private property everywhere, with fences and very little if any permission granted. The elk are there is good numbers and then they just disappear.....until the next year. And there is 3 quarter section of woods with no roads, so unless we have a bunch of stealthy timber hunters who somehow walk past my cameras....pressure is not the reason.

One thought is that the food source switches and they start concentrating on their fall/winter source, which is not found in the area. The crops around the area are a mix canola, peas, cereals and hay, so the food source should be good, but they still leave.....

Fun times!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

The frost changes the prime food sources very quick. Things that were not so desirable become the prime target. As the plant starts to decay the toxins become non toxic. Most of the elk i have killed or been part of up here in the peace had birch and or willow leaves in their gut this time of yr. They also have their favourite rutting holes that they return to yr after yr. Check in different vegetation, a sea of deciduous... Also if your near crop land the crops are coming off all over the place, some times there is new growth attacting them elsewhere. Second cut alfalfa comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    The frost changes the prime food sources very quick. Things that were not so desirable become the prime target. As the plant starts to decay the toxins become non toxic. Most of the elk i have killed or been part of up here in the peace had birch and or willow leaves in their gut this time of yr. They also have their favourite rutting holes that they return to yr after yr. Check in different vegetation, a sea of deciduous... Also if your near crop land the crops are coming off all over the place, some times there is new growth attacting them elsewhere. Second cut alfalfa comes to mind.
    Thanks for that... I really suspected frost and feed has something to do with it. I'm actually banking on that theory this season.