Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What other breeds dogs do you folks use hunting other then hounds

Re: What other breeds dogs do you folks use hunting other then hounds

I think I might be interested as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    I have a young drathaar and would be interested in the navhda starting up in lower mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    I have a young drathaar and would be interested in the navhda starting up in lower mainland.
    I've always thought the interior would be the place. Need somewhere central for the province so people can make training classes on the weekends or something. Lets get the other NAVHDA gthread going and see if this is finally the time ha

Back to the other conversation, anyone looking at a griffon or a DD should definitely consider a pudelpointer as well. They are often forgot about, but are really great dogs. Highest scoring breed in NAVHDA and make great pets.

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post
    Our Griff is coming out of Montana, seems to be quite a few breeders there. To be quite honest our breeder just happened to have puppies when we were looking. She's been at it for about 5 years, Yellowstone River Griffons. She's been great to deal with. Reading about your experience as well as the guy who has Mater really helped sway us toward a Griffon. They seem to have everything we're looking for, a great family dog and a dog as I describe it "a dog that can take a punch". If you can, keep me in the loop as far as the Griff get together goes I'd like to go. I'm not sure if I'll hunt her but I think I'd like to. Can't wait
    Here's a photo of Sako when she was 12 weeks old on her first experience being in a field with game birds. She got to tag along with Mater and her owner in the photo on a pheasant hunt on a torrential rainy day. She looked like a drown rat but she loved it! LOL

And here's a photo from our griff get together last November. Sako is the griff laying down in the middle and Mater is the one on the left (her right). As you can see in the photo there are different coats on some of these griffs.

IMG_0760 by Brent Davy, on Flickr
    Last edited by mastercaster; 10-31-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Great pictures, lots of different looking Griffs there.

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post
    Great pictures, lots of different looking Griffs there.
    Definitely some with longer hair,,,,likely the ones that have softer coats where the hair could matt up. Griffs should have dense to medium dense wiry coats. The two on the far left had coats more like mine. A good number of those dogs were overweight, as well. No excuse for that. Personality-wise, they're all great dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    German Shorthair Pointer.
    Where did you get your GSP from? I’m looking for one and there are hardly any breeders in BC.

I’m a new hunter and new to hunting with a dog. I have a Mutt from a DD and a Lab. She’s much bigger than we expected (88 lbs , maybe 5-7 lbs of extra padding that could come off). She has high hunting drive, and forgivable with my errors as a trainer. Mostly duck and upland. Fantastic family dog and can go all day in the woods.

We've got a Pudelpointer named Bo.

He's got good drive (still needs some training though!) And is a great family dog.

They are a high energy and smart breed. So don't expect to walk them 20mins a day and them be fine.

Edit: I have a bad allergy to dogs. Being hypoallergenic, this guy cuddles up with me on the couch for naps and doesn't bother my allergies one bit!

Cool Re: What other breeds dogs do you folks use hunting other then hounds

Been running Wolf Hybrids for over 30 years.
    Last decade or so they have all been at least 1/2 Wolf.
    Hell on bears.
    Deadly efficient blood trailers.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me