Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60# bow 29" draw length shooting mechanicals. Looking for 2cents

60# bow 29" draw length shooting mechanicals. Looking for 2cents

As the titles reads I'm shooting a 60# bow right now and using mechanical as I was unable to get my muzzys tuned and was running out of time before hunting season. So given the current set up I've heard lots of controversial opinions as to am I shooting too low of a poundage to be using mechanicals? I'm also planning on going after a black bear given the chance and lots of people advise against using mechanicals on black bears? Im shooting wasp jak hammers 1 1/4" broadheads. Would love to hear your guys opinions and preferences. For the number hungry my bow should be around a 64lb adjusted draw weight and producing around 64lbs of KE using a 380 grain arrow.

TLDR 60# bow shooting mechanicals on a bear hunt is asking for trouble True or False?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 60# bow 29" draw length shooting mechanicals. Looking for 2cents

A heavier arrow would help alot with your penetration with the mechanical, 380 is pretty light. What muzzys were you shooting?

That will take a bear down no problem. ������

Muzzy M3s I believe. They were typical fixed blades that came in a package of 5 that you assembled yourself.

Your set up is fine as long as you put the arrow in the right spot the bear will die. I have taken more then a few bears

Have shot mec’s in the past with no issue but I have witnessed them fail( grim reaper and rage ) so switched to fix blade. Slick trick mags (strong like muzzles but fly nicer)for my compound and buzz cuts for my recurve

Accuracy is king and keep your shots at a reasonable distance and all will be fine. With bears if the wind is in your favour and they are feeling getting really close is not that hard.

Main thing with bears sometimes the blood trail sucks so be ready to use other sign to track your bear and give them time so you don’t bump them pushing them farther.

Okay cool this was what I was thinking. Going to move ahead with my current set up. Might try some slick tricks but otherwise going to use my mechanicals. They group with my field tips and ultimately that should give me the accuracy I need to make a clean kill.

That setup will work just fine, shot my bear this year at about 65#, 28" draw with a 385 grain arrow from 20 yards with a 2" mechanical, he made it 11 yards downhill and had lost bowel control at approximately 5 so put it in the right place and you're golden...just aim a bit farther back than the 3D targets, almost center of center. This one was quartering away and this was the exit hole, thought I may have hit him a bit far back at first but their vitals just sit a a bit farther back in the body cavity.

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

There are lots of good options out there for broad heads both mechanicals and fixed blades. I tried mechanicals (grim reapers and one other) when I first started tuning with broadheads because they shot great but once I tried a few different fixed blades that shot just as well I stuck with them. One less thing to go wrong and more shot angles with fixed blades. When I get a new bow and get back into things I will be using Grizz stick arrows and broad heads, they make very high quality big game equipment meant to penetrate anything from the smallest to the big six. They make a 950 and 1250 grain arrow with a 315gr broad head for taking cape buffalo and elephant.....but will that kill a BC snowshoe hare?

I shot quite a few bears with 60-65# compounds, 29" or 29.5" draw bows....6 (or so) blacks, a grizzly, Alaskan brown and polar. 2 blacks, grizzly and polar with mechanicals, some 1-1/2" 2 blade and some with 1-1/2" 3-blade (which I prefer). Arrows from 385 grs to 475 grs. No penetration issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    I shot quite a few bears with 60-65# compounds, 29" or 29.5" draw bows....6 (or so) blacks, a grizzly, Alaskan brown and polar. 2 blacks, grizzly and polar with mechanicals, some 1-1/2" 2 blade and some with 1-1/2" 3-blade (which I prefer). Arrows from 385 grs to 475 grs. No penetration issues.
    Badass! I couldn't imagine bow hunting a grizz. No thanks haha.