Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camper on a utility trailer

Re: Camper on a utility trailer

A guy I know just sold what may possibly be the ultimate hunting rig. He had brought it up from the states with one of his boats.
    It was a fair sized utility trailer with a smaller tent trailer (running gear removed) on it sideways. Plus room at the back for 2 quads to drive on sideways, and a bunch of room up front for asst gear, game, etc...
    The suspension was beefy enough for most FSR, and built to last. It must of weighed a bunch, as it was big n beefy.

Check this out : http://www.jayco.com/php/products/ca...ler.php?id=147

They make them in camoflage as well with taller tires.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I've seen a camper mounted on a flatbed / modified travel trailer bed. Under the over hang was a home freezer run with a generator. Looked effective.

Thumbs up Re: Camper on a utility trailer

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    The GVW for the trailer is 3000lbs and I believe the thing weighs around 700 pounds give or take. An 8-9' camper shouldn't weigh any more than 2000lbs should it?

By my calculations, as long as you don't go and buy a long camper in the 9.5'-12' range, balance (tongue weight) shouldn't be an issue. I was more interested in the legalities and logistics of doing this as I've seen a few on the road so it must be possible.

The trailer isn't a high-deck and has a wheel base width of around 6', which is more than my truck. I can't see it being anymore top heavy than the camper would be 2' higher in the bed of a pickup.
    Exactly..........Nothing to fear (legally) other then making sure you do not exceed the GVW of your trailer.
    Mount it in..secure it down as norm.....couple turnbuckles with eye bolts etc. Use chain not straps

Have Fun drive safe

Ever consider a Toy hauler?

In BC the weight of the trailer being towed can not exceed 1/3 of the towing vehicles weight without requiring trailer brakes. So a toyota towing a 2000lbs+ trailer is a no go. I wouldn't even think about doing it without a 3500lbs axle, this gives you some room for error & gear. As far as securing the camper to the trailer a 2" angle iron lip around the base & 4 half decent, I mean not your Canadian tire cheap crap tie downs but some thing that will accept 3/8" chain would do fine.. If you ever get pulled over just bring it by for an inspection..

A flatbed trailer with sufficient GVW and brakes as required coupled with either a pop top camper or a tent trailer would work well. Lower center of gravity. These units usually come in at about 1200-1400 lbs once loaded up with supplies.

Consider having the tent trailer mounted at one end of the trailer to leave room for a quad or camp/hunting gear.

A camper that is too top heavy is a risk on some logging roads or even on paved roads at higher speeds where sharp cornering may be encountered.

Regarding the legalities of the load, there is the 'catch all' if you have an inherently unstable unit and travel at unsafe speeds.
    Last edited by bc sportsman; 09-08-2007 at 09:30 PM.
    aka...THE MOOSE WHISPERER

i have a small 8ft camper that would fit your truck good $500 .no leaks.ready to go hunting.