Thread: Bowhunting with a Dog, How does stalking work?

Bowhunting with a Dog, How does stalking work?

Hey HBC,
    Just a logistical question I wanted to ask. Does anyone here bow hunt with a dog? and if you do, how would stalking an animal work? Has your dog ever blown a stalk? How do you train/prevent this from happening?
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Bowhunting with a Dog, How does stalking work?

I have, and once your dog knows what is expected from it, there should be few problems.
    Until then, it's usually a hinderence and highly likely that the dog will blow the deal.
    As the law requires the dog to be leashed, just the leash alone can be a nuisence as it can
    easily get hung up on just about anything. You should include in your training the command
    to "go around" which is relatively easy to do. That way, when it goes on the wrong side of an
    object you can quietly tell it to 'go around' and it will backtrack and go around on your side.
    Using an 'extend-a-leash' is a good idea.

One bark and the game is over. Other animals smell canine scent and leave the neighbourhood. Unless your duck hunting or grouse hunting leave the pooch at home.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I don't bow hunt but my dog comes on every hunting trip. I always keep her leashed when hunting. Have had deer come within 20 yards before they have noticed us. I doubt the dogs scent is any more of a deterrent than a humans.wouldnt dream of leaving my dog behind.
    It aint easy being green

Quote Originally Posted by cmac View Post
    I don't bow hunt but my dog comes on every hunting trip. I always keep her leashed when hunting. Have had deer come within 20 yards before they have noticed us. I doubt the dogs scent is any more of a deterrent than a humans.wouldnt dream of leaving my dog behind.
    I second that.
    With me always. I don't bow hunt either.. but I walk. Spot and stalk.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Nice to hear, and yea I want to bring my dogs but if they blew a stalk on a nice animal it would be a hard pill to swallow.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

The first couple of years when my dog was young and overly enthusiastic, he blew my chances
    several times. I put those down to is training years. Where he would 'heel' well on a normal
    walk, he seemed desperate to get in front of me to see what's going on during a stalk. The 'go
    around' part of his training had been done very successfully beforehand. He now knows that
    we're sneaking up on something, be it ducks in a slough, or a deer, and he quietly and carefully
    sneaks alongside me. My first lab did extremely well stalking, even trained to crawl when given
    the command by hand. He had the advantage of far more training and being out in the field a lot
    more often. It is indeed possible with training, and it's very rewarding to have a dog along when
    it is in sync with you.

I have. She’s great and never barks. Incredible tracker
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever