Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Bison thoughts

Early Bison thoughts

Hello all
    So my hunting buddy was drawn for the Oct 1 draw in 7-57B. Sadly I was draw for this hunt about 10 years ago and did not connect. We were there before opening day and the only bison we saw were on the top of the glaciers/permanent snow on the peaks. I was told this was because the natives had come in and hunt hard before season opening and driven them up high.
    I am hoping this is not the case this time and we are looking forward to the hunt. I was wondering are the bison normally down in the river valleys in the early season? Do you normally see bigger heard sizes or small units and singles.
    Does the gate up the Sikanni still have a quad sized opening and is locked to vehicles? Any suggestions for nice camp areas? And why are the odds better in 7-57B? are there greater concentrations in A?
    Thanks so much for your help, you can PM me instead if you want.

2. Site Sponsor

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: Early Bison thoughts

The part of about the natives causing pressure is a load of BS. Lots of bison in 7-57 A & B. Just need to get into the timber and look for sign as some are high and some are low. Don't be shy about sticking your finger into a pile of dung to test for warmth....and I am serious. Muskwa-Kechika gate is still there and you still go around it with your atv.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix View Post
    Don't be shy about sticking your finger into a pile of dung to test for warmth....and I am serious.
    Its true! I did this the year we got ours.
    "Fight back, no battles have ever been won by a coward"

Congrats on the draw. Dress warm, she gonna be a cold one up here

Thanks so much for the responses. The part about the Bison being driven up high was the truth though. Such a problem in fact that there is concern regarding the bison eating a lot of the sheep and goats food. or at least this is what I was told by a conservation officer.
    That being said we will be working hard to find the critters and thanks for the help.

A friend of a friend had the draw the very first year they had draws for bison. He said he shot his on top of the mountain above the sheep and caribou. Some have been there all along, even before native and white hunters.

bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I had the Oct 1st A draw 6ish years ago. Shot one the 3rd day. Had snow day 2 about 8" in the valley but no problem with the Sxs. Snow seemed to push them down and they were littering the valley the day after.

I go in there pretty well every year around the second week of Oct and always see bison, you just need to get your ass off your machine and walk the benches above the river, in the thick stuff. It always amazes me to hear quad after quad go slowly putting by while the bison just stand, listen and them go back to what ever they were doing.

There is a mix of bison from the valley floor to the peaks, just need to spend time scouting for sign, watching trails and walking the benches/ridges

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I am sure looking forward to the hunt! The country is beautiful up there and regardless of the hunting success I cant think of too many better places to spend a week or two. The boots are mink oiled up and ready for some miles.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    I go in there pretty well every year around the second week of Oct and always see bison, you just need to get your ass off your machine and walk the benches above the river, in the thick stuff. It always amazes me to hear quad after quad go slowly putting by while the bison just stand, listen and them go back to what ever they were doing.

There is a mix of bison from the valley floor to the peaks, just need to spend time scouting for sign, watching trails and walking the benches/ridges

Cheers

SS
    I had originally written a lengthy response to the original post (computer restarted ugh) and said many of the same things, especially about the quads going by, and not always so slowly. I see bison at least every second day, but got tired of bison hunters asking me for info when I am at Sikanni, and then having them completely disregard it. I have even offered to help on several occasions, but they aren't interested as they assume I want something in return. Sooo, Jakerazer, I am driving a Red Honda Pioneer with a black camo hood and will be in Sikanni from this Wednesday till Oct 2, will be camped inside.... Flag me over when you see me and I will tell you what I have seen.... Make sure you have a cold beer ready for me
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!