Thread: What an Awesome Night

What an Awesome Night

Ok, first off no animals were shot tonight, that would have been even more awesome! That being said, I really had an amazing night in region 8. Trying to get my daughter into hunting. She love being outdoors, she loves animals, she enjoys eating game, but she is not to sure about the shooting part. She is alright with me shooting but not to sure she wants to do it.

Only had 2 hours after work so headed to a spot close to home. Looking for 4pt mulie or a WT but really no expectations of getting anything so close to home.

Drove around a bit and saw plenty of mule does, no bucks tonight. As we headed to higher elevation, I stopped to glass an old growth slash. Now I was glassing a long way off when my daughter said she saw movement with the naked eye. To humor her I inquired and she pointed to a spot about 800 yards away. Up went the binoculars and ELK. I couldn't believe that my 10 year old girl picked out an elk at 800 yards! Couldn't tell if it was a bull of cow at it's head was down in the thick stuff and it didn't matter because I didn't have a tag. We decided we were going to try to hike in just for fun and drove a little further to find a good access point. Not 500 meters up the road we spotted a fork moose 50 yards off the road (actually 3 pt on one side), if it were only November. By this point, we had abandoned our deer hunt and decided to first see how close we could get to the bull moose and then go looking for the elk. Stalked to about 30 yards of the moose and I learned that it can be extremely difficult to identify a spike/fork. I was certain that this bull was a fork on both sides and then noticed a third point on one side. I know that he still would have been legal but I will be very careful in identifying if I happen to run across a small bull during open season. Couldn't find the elk. The terrain was thick and not even sure if we ended up in the same cut block.

But . . . I think my daughter's outlook on hunting really improved tonight! She was so proud for spotting the elk! So if she decides to hunt, that will be awesome! If not, she con join me for great company and her amazing spotting abilities!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What an Awesome Night

Wow...take that young lady EVERYTIME....see all those carrots you fed her..Worked.pretty amazing. .most youngsters tend to look..50 yards..
    Well done.
    Srupp

Great day, Great share, Great experience
    I’m thinking that 3rd point likely not scorable?
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    Great day, Great share, Great experience
    I’m thinking that 3rd point likely not scorable?
    No the third point on the one side definitely scorable buy hidden by the ears. Need a real good view and angle to identify a fork moose I learned tonight.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Great to see you got your daughter out, even better she's spotting game, kids eyes are very sharp

I agree on the small antlered Moose, cost my daughters boyfriend a moose last year, couldn't see the small spikes when he was facing us, finally when he skylined himself before disappearing did I see the single stick antler !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Spotting elk region 8 is very cool. I often 2nd guess when I see old droppings that are clearly larger than deer. Never spotted the animal on any hunt yet though. Have spotted moose.

Good find! The elk are moving into region 8 quite nicely. Seeing and hearing them has been exciting. Glad you are taking your time to identify how many points on any animal it can be tricky. My middle daughter loves to hunt my oldest daughter loves to go hunting but has been unsure if she wants to shoot. Now at 17 she is sure she wants to shoot so her first deer is my priority this fall. My son, who can tell you anything and everything about animals, who passed his CORE with the highest mark in his class at the age of 10 and loves shooting guns, hates hunting. You just can’t push them. They come around. The best times are just being with them and seeing all the amazing stuff that is out there.

Training and teaching kids and learning from them, is a experience that will enhance their life and yours. At a boy to you.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Picked out an elk at 800 yards whoa wow, better than most hunters already, she's got real good eyes! Make sure she looks after those eyes.
    Real good news for you and yours.
    Jel n Jock -- excellent news for you -- and us on HBC, we love everyone on HBC

Quote Originally Posted by Redo View Post
    No the third point on the one side definitely scorable buy hidden by the ears. Need a real good view and angle to identify a fork moose I learned tonight.
    Good eye
    Regulations are somewhat specific, had a friend shoot a legal immature with paddle, all points worn to bumps that were not scorable.
    I would not have shot, they told me I would have lost a moose and explained the details.
    It was a good lesson from extremely experienced hunters.
    I still err on side of caution.
    Now get that kid back out there
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”