Ok, first off no animals were shot tonight, that would have been even more awesome! That being said, I really had an amazing night in region 8. Trying to get my daughter into hunting. She love being outdoors, she loves animals, she enjoys eating game, but she is not to sure about the shooting part. She is alright with me shooting but not to sure she wants to do it.

Only had 2 hours after work so headed to a spot close to home. Looking for 4pt mulie or a WT but really no expectations of getting anything so close to home.

Drove around a bit and saw plenty of mule does, no bucks tonight. As we headed to higher elevation, I stopped to glass an old growth slash. Now I was glassing a long way off when my daughter said she saw movement with the naked eye. To humor her I inquired and she pointed to a spot about 800 yards away. Up went the binoculars and ELK. I couldn't believe that my 10 year old girl picked out an elk at 800 yards! Couldn't tell if it was a bull of cow at it's head was down in the thick stuff and it didn't matter because I didn't have a tag. We decided we were going to try to hike in just for fun and drove a little further to find a good access point. Not 500 meters up the road we spotted a fork moose 50 yards off the road (actually 3 pt on one side), if it were only November. By this point, we had abandoned our deer hunt and decided to first see how close we could get to the bull moose and then go looking for the elk. Stalked to about 30 yards of the moose and I learned that it can be extremely difficult to identify a spike/fork. I was certain that this bull was a fork on both sides and then noticed a third point on one side. I know that he still would have been legal but I will be very careful in identifying if I happen to run across a small bull during open season. Couldn't find the elk. The terrain was thick and not even sure if we ended up in the same cut block.

But . . . I think my daughter's outlook on hunting really improved tonight! She was so proud for spotting the elk! So if she decides to hunt, that will be awesome! If not, she con join me for great company and her amazing spotting abilities!