Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail hunt

Whitetail hunt

We can’t go north for our moose hunt this year,so we are opting for a chance at a deer,probably a whitetail somewhere within 4 to 6 hours from the ferry.Time frame is in the first couple of weeks in October. I was pretty well set on the Osoyoos area,but saw the hunting forecast that reports the deer in that area have had a couple of hard winters and numbers are way down....not looking for anybody’s special spot,but just some local observations which would be much appreciated.We’re taking the kids,so not looking for a trophy hunt,just a good safe hunt ,do some camping,shoot some grouse ,see some animals and maybe let the kids take a deer

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whitetail hunt

Any buck season for Mulie and both Whitie doe and buck avail in many areas.
    So many areas that can produce all above, choose wisely to increase all options.
    I found success on 4 point Mulie and friend harvested Whitetail buck this week, Same general area, North of Kamloops.
    Others will weigh in with other options, Good luck
    Last edited by Blainer; 09-14-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Around my area (Merritt) there is WT but they are in pockets in the Mulie country and you need to know where your going. Grouse numbers are okay though
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

A lot of spots around Merritt good for deer....surprised they said the winter was bad in the South of reg 8, it didnt seem particularly hard to me...

Watched a WT doe off my deck this afternoon,she was plump and looked taste.Been out a couple times [N. Okanogan]the last few days and just seen bears,nothing of size.Rock creek north would be a good bet

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Anyone know a good place to rent a cabin that has decent whitetail population?

I take my old man every year for a couple days up to Mile High and hunt the northern part of 3-19. Thinking of switching it up and finding a cabin somewhere else that has some better whitetail populations than Tunkwa/Paska area.

Thanks!

You're looking at a pretty good area, i wouldn't be scared away by an article on snow etc because the whole province has had a couple of rough winters. If it was my choice i would go on the east side of 'Yoos and not the west side as its too close to 365 hunting. Get out there and explore, lots of great deer and elk country - The game is where you find it.
    Been some fires in the areas over the past few years, lots of regrowth means great deer habitat. Whitetail buck & doe open along with any mule deer...........
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    We can’t go north for our moose hunt this year,so we are opting for a chance at a deer,probably a whitetail somewhere within 4 to 6 hours from the ferry.Time frame is in the first couple of weeks in October. I was pretty well set on the Osoyoos area,but saw the hunting forecast that reports the deer in that area have had a couple of hard winters and numbers are way down....not looking for anybody’s special spot,but just some local observations which would be much appreciated.We’re taking the kids,so not looking for a trophy hunt,just a good safe hunt ,do some camping,shoot some grouse ,see some animals and maybe let the kids take a deer

Never hunted that country, what’s the topography like? Hopefully we can find a place to park our hunting trailer as a base camp. I’ve never hunted whitetail but I see them near farms and fields.Locating a greened up burn should be productive

Grand forks

Greenwood area ridiculously productive for mule deer and whitetail.