Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for advice on a camping trailer

Re: looking for advice on a camping trailer

One of the problems with aluminum studs are the welds, some aren't done too well. I think that is where the questions about using on gravel come from. In theory , a wall as a solid piece adds greatly to the strength of the unit. They have been playing around with this technology for while now, so they should be getting it right. But there is reason for the wide range of prices, and it not just the hardwood cupboards.

We have taken ours to Arizona twice, across Canada, into NWT , this summer the Rocky National parks on both sides of the border, of course all over BC backroads.

Building one out of a cargo is a lot of work but you only get what you want. Mine has a 4 burner stove with oven and propane furnace. Also 35 gal fresh and 15 gal grey (no crapper) Full kitchen with double sink. It sleeps 3 of us across the back and when beds away a 2 up quad just fits in at 16ft total.The frame is all steel z channel with plywood the RV board for cosmetics. Sold unit.

Solid not sold Edit wouldn't work

Yeah, that would be a rugged unit. Met some guys deer hunting at williams lake that had done that. I think my time will be short with new baby, and my wife wants a little more polished unit than id be able to make, realistically.

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    Building one out of a cargo is a lot of work but you only get what you want. Mine has a 4 burner stove with oven and propane furnace. Also 35 gal fresh and 15 gal grey (no crapper) Full kitchen with double sink. It sleeps 3 of us across the back and when beds away a 2 up quad just fits in at 16ft total.The frame is all steel z channel with plywood the RV board for cosmetics. Sold unit.

The Moose is Loose Lodge is a 20 ft. cargo trailer in its 10 th year now, been all over B.C. and geared up for another trip up north. Haven’t had a problem, called preventive maintenance. Pics of the build Hunting Gear, inside pics of the lodge on the search.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterguy View Post
    The Moose is Loose Lodge is a 20 ft. cargo trailer in its 10 th year now, been all over B.C. and geared up for another trip up north. Haven’t had a problem, called preventive maintenance. Pics of the build Hunting Gear, inside pics of the lodge on the search.
    That unit is a major source of inspiration for my (still in the planning/dreaming stages) cargo camper build.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Ha ha the Lodge was out of 28 years of mice and a flapping wall tent when hunting hard was a good night sleep. Last two years nightly were dreams of comfort and the build and dreams do come true! Good luck with your decisions. The Lodge is being packed as I speak for another trip north along with a new edition a 6 by 6 walk in cooler.

we're running a 16 foot cargo trailer from Kit custom trailer. Heavier axels, spring over for extra height, heightened roof, with roof rack, can choose placement of windows ( we have a two piece window took the bottom piece out replaced with a sheet of aluminum with a whole big enough for the stove pipe for the woodstove) floor is extra re-inforced. side door is wide enough to run a quad in if so choosing, under side of the trailer is a steel frame, painted the frame then sheated with ply wood to stop the gravel from sandblasting the paint off creating rust. trailer is wired for 110v and 12v, also water proofed the floor so when two quads or snowmobiles are in the trailer after a wet day, the moisture doesn't soak into the wood floor.
    trailer did awesome last year bson hunting in minus 30-it was too hot with the stove. aswell as all the other wet cold days we have on the island we've spent a lot of time camperizing the trailer but it works well for us and your posabilites are endless.

never had to use it, but we always carry a spare hub assembly with bearings already greased and ready to go-if the wheel bearings start to go just take old hub off put new one on and your set.

This is a great thread, good of the OP to ask the questions ! I would like to know more myself as well. I mean you can't afford two trailers so I would be looking for something that you could take hunting/fishing and tow down south come winter.
    Arctic Lake

Some pics would be nice