Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for advice on a camping trailer

Re: looking for advice on a camping trailer

For hunting I use a 20 year old Adventurer 8' 10" that I rebuilt the wings and rear end on. Common problems on that style of campers.The roof leaked as well, the Self Leveling compound had aged out, but no damage luckily. I had the choose between a 8' leak damaged Big Foot and it for about the same price. With the interior of the Big Foot requiring work , I went with a stick and tin and resealed. Lots of Proflex. The thought of rebuilding interior of the Big Foot was the like doing a boat interior, challenging. While the Adventurer has a great floorplan ,"it's cozy" But the real problem isn't size, rather heating. The factory sized propane units aren't up to heating and drying clothes at this time of year. Campers don't have thick walls, so don't really have enough insulation.

Hi.... my camping trailer is unique.. not many around like it... it doesnt appear to be 4 seasons worthy but I have been in -10c with it... check it out.

The furnace works great... I bought some solar bunk end covers for it from pop up gizmo .com and it has solar wraps for inside the bunk ends to reflect heat back in... I will hang blankets inside it also. The solar covers increased my r value by alot... used to burn up 1 20lb propane tank in 2 days for heating ... now its 4
    ... I hang my cloths around the walls also for drying.. and r value... it's done me well In all sorts of conditions.

Edit: the ground clearance on it is great... if my truck can make it so can my trailer no problem. 16" wheels... 6" frame.... 14ft long closed up... opens up to an apartment inside.. .ev1 often hangs out in it rather than their camper in hunting seasons because its alot more roomier inside than a camper... but I do sleep with my gun by the door and bullets in the mag cuz well... canvas just isnt secure... and u hear everything outside.

Also it has virtually no storage in it... but the canopy over my box holds all my gear. Everything goes into 40l plastic storage containers... I dont use a quad... my truck is my quad basicly... or I hike.
    Last edited by Taurusguy; 10-01-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Like you we had a truck mounted camper and the wife had enough. We bought https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGLzroAP4hk one of these. Ours is a 2008 and still have it. Good for carrying a klr 650 or can fit a quad in it. Rear slides out and I can sleep in it. Am 6ft so it's a bit tight but works. Lots of storage (bunks) in front and they lock. Takes 2 different keys to open each one. There are two. I keep rifles up in the top bunk.

I've got the BlackRock from ORV. Not that impressed to be honest. One side of my springs flattened out so I had them replaced Flattened out again Put in 10,000 Springs ( they advertise off road suspension) All good so far. They do have an 80 gal freshwater tank and a 40 each for grey and black. No leaks thus far, Bought it new 3 years ago. Not sure I'd buy another one. Look closely !!
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!

We had a couple of tent trailers for family camping,20 years worth. We started with a used 8' bought with a income tax return check. It came with a Yankee sewzawl . In the end I put a full frame under it, 3500# axel with brakes, new tent and a new top. A tent trailer with HD stabilizers can camp where you can barely walk. We have. I found 13" wheels and tires big enough for logging roads/ trails. Still I never thought to use it for hunting, only once, instead used a wall tent with it's tin airtight.

The tent trailers with real frames and a deck can take a quad.

I did blow out the leaf spring on one side on the way into Murray lake a few years back.... did this to it and found my way out via Clearwater exit. Didnt wana take it back out juliet creek.

Then patched it up like this

Then I replaced them both when I got home with a 4 leaf spring from it's original 3 leaf.

Edit: it's a starcraft 10rt 2007 and I got it in 2012.. it's been awesome. There is one that you can get that has a quad deck... but then its longer and wouldnt have the same ability to go through some areas I take this one into.... a genny is next on my list...
    Last edited by Taurusguy; 10-01-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurusguy View Post
    Hi.... my camping trailer is unique.. not many around like it... it doesnt appear to be 4 seasons worthy but I have been in -10c with it... check it out.

The furnace works great... I bought some solar bunk end covers for it from pop up gizmo .com and it has solar wraps for inside the bunk ends to reflect heat back in... I will hang blankets inside it also. The solar covers increased my r value by alot... used to burn up 1 20lb propane tank in 2 days for heating ... now its 4
    ... I hang my cloths around the walls also for drying.. and r value... it's done me well In all sorts of conditions.

Edit: the ground clearance on it is great... if my truck can make it so can my trailer no problem. 16" wheels... 6" frame.... 14ft long closed up... opens up to an apartment inside.. .ev1 often hangs out in it rather than their camper in hunting seasons because its alot more roomier inside than a camper... but I do sleep with my gun by the door and bullets in the mag cuz well... canvas just isnt secure... and u hear everything outside.

Also it has virtually no storage in it... but the canopy over my box holds all my gear. Everything goes into 40l plastic storage containers... I dont use a quad... my truck is my quad basicly... or I hike.
    I used to own a 14RT which is basically the same as your 10RT but with a quad deck. It has the best built frame etc of all the “off-road” tent trailers out there. I also hike so I never took a quad on mine, but it was handy to store coolers, firewood etc on the deck. I lived out of mine full time for 8 months, with 4 of those in rural Mexican towns. Not able to have a gun with me lead to a couple of scary nights with a big ass machete and a nice hickory sledge hammer handle in hand. As you said, canvas and Velcro are NOT exactly high security! The space you get when unfolded is great, but packing up “the contraption” in pouring rain and then trying to dry it out later is also not a joy.

Timely thread - wife and I are looking for a trailer now (with a new baby coming this winter, our days of hopping under the canopy are done).

So so far we’ve narrowed things down to the No Boundaries 10.6 and the Taxa tiger moth. We want something small we can base camp out of and still feel like we’re camping. We’re also running a Tacoma as our big vehicle, so weight is a concern. Both will take gear on the roof (boats and bikes primarily) and gear can be stored in the canopy. No quad but I believe and would fit in the No Boundaries.

Tempting to build my own from a 14’ V nose, but I just don’t see having the time with the kiddo.

Yeah... I hear ya on the close it when its wet issue.... fortunately I have a garage I open it up into to dry it out... doesnt happen often tho putting it away wet. The 10rt is only like 2800lbs soakin wet... I hardly feel it with my f250. (Its a f350 in disguise actually lol has 9600 gvrw package in back end) lol.. my 10rt tows like a dream. But I have bounced it off the ground lol.. its fine tho haha.

Heres my rig... I have since changed the tires on the truck to some Yokohama geolandars (love that tire)

And just because... heres some more pics of it... incase u cant tell I'm biased towards it lol..

Thought about selling it actually and swap to a camper... but not quite ready I dont think. Paid 8k for it I'd sell it for like 6k if I was gunna.... maybe.. >.<
    Last edited by Taurusguy; 10-02-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Very interesting post