Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for advice on a camping trailer

looking for advice on a camping trailer

Well, the wife had enough of crawling up into the bed of the camper, and we sold it. We're now looking at various trailer options. We live on the island, so length is a huge consideration to keep costs on the ferries reasonable...I think something in the 20 foot range would work well. What are your brands that you love or hate? definitely do quite a bit of back country logging roads, and want something that will hold up. Probably looking at a late model used unit. I have a 1 ton diesel. Any comments or suggestions appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: looking for advice on a camping trailer

I built mine from a cargo trailer. All steel frame 16 foot

I will be selling our vintage 17' boler and buying a 17' escape next year. They are made in chilliwack, fibreglass clamshell construction. Worth a look.

thanks Sharpish. yes those look really interesting. I think she was liking the idea of a slide out, but they seem like they could be a great point of failure after bouncing down logging roads for a few years. Love the clam shell fiberglass idea.

Lance, Bigfoot, Nash I also like the escapes made in the lower main land

20-21 footer is definitely doable. I've been through all types of units - tents, camperettes, campers, an Alaskan camper, 21 ft. trailer, and now a 24 footer. A 21 footer is great. What ever you buy, make sure it is a dual axle. Single axles bounce way too much on logging roads. Winter package is a bonus. 15 inch tires rather than 14's. Have a look at the clearance; some have sewer drains pretty close to the ground. If buying used, check carefully for leaks and soft spots on the floor and walls. I do miss the days when you could drive the camper to the top of the mountain and get up in the morning and start walking. Trailers are a bit limiting, but sure nice once you are set up. Nice to have the truck free to explore, get to good hunting areas and hopefully retrieve game.

thanks Wagonmaster. Hoping a 21 footer will allow me to access some pretty deep brush. does anyone have experience with aluminum framed trailers? seems like they might be worth investing in on the wet coast.

I'd recommend a toyhauler.

Way bigger tanks and usually a built in genny.

We use a Creekside 20 FQ. Check that floorplan out, my wife picked it out. . It's built by OutdoorRV , one of the Nash brands . ORVs are likely the best built trailers out there. They have winter and off road (dirt road) packages. Still that not saying much because the rest are so poorly built. Escapes are different. They have really improved them since ours, 2013. I like the thick walls, the one piece Styrofoam and aluminum stud walls.

Any trailer older than 2 years has leaks and mold. Your stick and tins are easy to replace the rotten wood, which you will have. An easy check is to peel the vinyl trim and remove a rusty headed screw. If the threads are rusty , you have a leak. That where the 2 years comes in, about the time it takes SPF to rot.

I've always wanted to build one out of a cargo trailer like cdub. sure, it may not be as refined as the one's you can buy, but it will be a lot simpler and have a lot less to go wrong with it and would be much easier to fix/maintain in the long term. long enough one, you'd even be able to add your own meat cooler to hang your game!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    eeeewwwww!! Factory ammo...