Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for advice on a camping trailer

Re: looking for advice on a camping trailer

This is ours last year with a trial made awning, now it is similar but with 1 inch frame.

Check out today's article on MSN about buying RV's.
    Check out Forest River's Work 'n Play.
    Last edited by New Bow Hunter; 09-15-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Nice setup....good clearance

do you have a link for the custom trailer guys? spare hub assembly is such a good idea. I'm sure countless trips have been messed up by a seized bearing.

We built one from a 15’ V nose tandem cargo trailer,had a RV door, windows and canopy added at the factory.I gutted my old camper,put in the fridge and stove.School lockers for storage and an overhead locker.Put in a counter with a sink in the front ,with storage and water tank and deep cycle battery for LED lights.Fold up bunks (3) on the sides to allow the quad to drive in for travelling,lock down points and one removable bunk across the back.Light trailer tires were replaced with regular auto tires.30 lb propane tank on the front.Its pretty compact,lots of storage and very comfortable.Nice to just walk back and sleep when traveling ,nothing to set up.
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 09-16-2018 at 05:04 AM.

That walking back to sleep isn't a given on trailers with slides. The wife may find it difficult if the slide has to be out to get to the bathroom, if you have to stop while travelling. And being able to just pull over allows you to get a Friday night after work start on the weekend .

Started out years ago in an 8ft camper and although it was tight and not the best place for two people to hang out for any length of time it did the job of providing a dry warm place to sleep. With the same thoughts as you I eventually moved on to a Desert Fox Toy Hauler that at the time I though was the perfect answer to hauling toys and more room to hang out during nasty weather. Long story short I found the toy hauler was just too heavy and awkward to get into the back country, and even more so when the weather got bad. So after a couple years I sold the toy hauler and bought a smaller 18.5ft 5th wheel and doctored it up for the new hunting trailer... Well, once again I found it to be a PITA and after one season admitted it was even worse than the toy hauler as a hunting rig. It took up all of the room in the bed of my truck and provided no room for bringing game home. So at this point my wife says why do we need two rigs, just take our new trailer.... Well I thought to myself, not a bad idea.. A clean and new 4 season travel trailer with lots of room to move around and 3 beds for hunting buddies without putting the table down!!! Well I will admit it, it was great, but I will never bring it again... New trailers are just not built for the FSR's and abuse of hunting.... So now I have gone full circle back to a 8ft camper and utility trailer for the ATV... For me the camper is the most versatile option and it allows me to get to places that a trailer just won't go, at least without damaging it...

Quote Originally Posted by tripleseven View Post
    thanks Wagonmaster. Hoping a 21 footer will allow me to access some pretty deep brush. does anyone have experience with aluminum framed trailers? seems like they might be worth investing in on the wet coast.
    I restore vintage trailers for a living, so work on various types and brands regularly, although our main focus is Airstreams. The “aluminum frame” models will be better than standard 2x2 constructed units, but will still have wood roof and floor framing. You won’t avoid rot with them, you’ll just have it in different (less) places. Most “white box” trailers are total junk. Toyhaulers are just heavier pieces of junk. Slide outs are a bad idea for regular fsr use. If you can find a used Escape, in a size and layout that works for you, that will be your best bet for long term durability. I’ve built custom hunting camp trailers before (Wells Cargo enclosed as starting point) and they can be great, but heavy and pricy depending on what/how you kit it out. My personal hunting RV is a 2017 Northern Lite 9’6” camper that I factory ordered to my spec. The main reason I went this route was the fibreglass clamshell (like the Escape has), and the fit and finish of the NL is as good as it gets in the whole industry. It also lets me pull a trailer with boat or quads or my Jeep.
    Last edited by Redthies; 10-01-2018 at 02:45 AM.

I second the Northern Lite truck camper for lengthy stays in comfort. Mine is an 8'9" model on a short bed F350. It is standing up very well to my use since 2014 with annual winter trips to AZ plus many other BC trips. They are made in Kelowna.

I do have a small 6'x12' x 6'6" tall cargo trailer I ordered with insulation, two 30"x30" screened and sliding windows, plus an RV door. Makes a good quad/UTV hauler and one person (two in a pinch) camper with the cot, folding table and propane stove in it. I ordered it with the Dexter single axle set up to increase clearance....ends up about the same as my stock F350.

I have a 20 year old 21 ft Bigfoot trailer that has been well travelled across Canada and on many of FSR roads in BC . It has a winter package and survived -38c winters in the late archery seasons of Rock Ck . Hunts and archery 3-d events have now been scaled back , but the trailer still functions when called on. Replaced the control panel on the fridge and furnace and the wore out the 4in shackle that link the springs to the frame ( driving too fast on FSR) . Replaced several sets of tires , front jack and 6 volt batteries .
    During the extreme cold winter hunts the "winter package" controled interior condensation . I run a 2000 Honda gen at night to run a $6000.oo PIPAP sleep machine (12 hr run time) so batteries were always charged and it will run the Air conditioner .
    Never had to chain up (had them) in spite of heavy snows , my 3500 Ram truck with TKO 2 tires had no probem getting me out .
    Can`t say enough for the reliability and service this unit has provided under some of the most trying conditions . Again on Dec 1st it will be parked on the banks of the Kettle River for its 20th year of getting me out there .
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 10-01-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC