Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bush repairs on vehicles.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Bush repairs on vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Saw a guy in the chilcotin once who had broken off a knuckle on an old Ford. Jacked it up, chained a pine tree under it and drove until it wore the pine ski down enough to replace it. I was young, dont remember much more details, but dad offered him a ride and he declined.
    Know of a fellow that did that on the western road between Cranberry unction and Terrace.
    He had to replace the pole a couple of times.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Fuel pump went on my 1967 ford 4x4 while way up in the mountains above Tunkwa Lake
    before all the place was civilized. Always carried a siphon hose which I taped to the gas line
    going into the carb, dumped out my 3 gal water jug, tied it to my west coast mirror, filled it
    with gas from my spare can, and drove all the way to Cache Creek and put in a new pump.
    Could watch the gas level in the plastic jug and would refill as needed. Unfortunately with all
    vehicles now a days having injectors and needing precise pressure, that won't work anymore.

My favourite thread in a while.

I thought we were pretty good at fixing sh*t in the bush but Squamch gets an invite to any and all backwoods trips. Pretty ingenious.

Our most recent innovation was a de-tensioner tool (15" of unistrut with a couple nuts and bolts) we rigged up to get a serpentine belt back on after it jumped the tracks.

Zap straps, duct tape and baling wire, plus tire plugs and a couple valve stems are in my "oh-shit" kit.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    How many trucks have you seen that had a filler neck not on the box lately?

While I agree that you probably cant clean it and are better off on the tappy-tape method...cutting a hole in the box is a common way to access the in tank pump on older trucks. Especially ones that dont have an empty fuel tank. And grand cherokees I think, but I avoid the jeep lifestyle. Nothing against it if that's what you're into, but it's not for me.
    Filler neck location isnt an indicator of where the fuel pump is especially on some of these giant fuel tanks of 130+ liters.

But yes, primarily because you most likely won't be able.to do anything with it on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchhead View Post
    Ya the hole in the box is a great addition...a piece welded on either side of the hole and you put the cut out piece back in the hole and self tap it down to the welded piece, almost looks factory. Makes fuel pump changes a pleasure.
    How did I know that zooming in on your avatar would show me a toyota :laughing:

I've done the gravity feed deal for a carbed motor. Also winched a front axle into position after the leaf spring snapped.
    Classic jeep move is to snap the C clips that retain your rear axle shaft on a Dana 35 (I think), and end up strapping a log from your rock slider to the rear bumper to keep the axle, brakes, wheel, etc from falling out/off.

Water pump died on my Ford last year at 8pm in Duncan on a Friday night. Couldn't borrow a big enough wrench to get the fan loose, so I clamped my tie rod end puller down on the nut as tight as I could, and used the highlift handle as a snipe to turn it.

Drove a toyota out of the bush after snapping a leaf spring shackle bolt on a 1/2" ratchet extension held in with a lot of duct tape.

I'm sure I'll remember more as I think about it.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Couple of things that worked for me over the years:

Dead fan clutch ... Drill a hole and put a bolt through to force it to stay engaged.

Electrical gremlins - always bring splices, fuses, multimeter, electrical tape etc.

A buddy had his ignition coil die on the trail. Ended up swapping one from my TJ into his Cherokee (same engine) and driving back to town to get one. So I always carry a spare one of those as well.

Things like RTV in case you gotta remove a stuck thermostat
    Spare serpentine belt

Somethings you really cant do anyhing about.... like a dead fuel pump ... but there are lots of other things that can go wrong that it pays to have a small box of spare parts.

Dont forget that spare head gasket too

On my very first hunt I packed every tool you could imagine . Everything except a tire pump for the flat tire we got headed to camp ... We had a spare but wanted to repair the flat . Thankfully some old timers camped near us had one they let us borrow . Our big bottle of whiskey was the most important tool we shared with the new neighbours to get the job done !

I remember someone somewhere claimed to have used a 12v inline fuel pump after the tank one failed. Im not sure if this really works? Carry a cheap 12v inline fuel pump?
    Hunting the promised land

we lost a valve stem with no tire places open on a long weekend...CT was open so we grabbed a 3 pack of valves and laid the tire on its side under the bumper...we put the base of the jack on the tire next to the bead/rim and started jacking up the truck until the tire bead popped off...slipped in the new valve and reinflated the tire to reseat the bead

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    we lost a valve stem with no tire places open on a long weekend...CT was open so we grabbed a 3 pack of valves and laid the tire on its side under the bumper...we put the base of the jack on the tire next to the bead/rim and started jacking up the truck until the tire bead popped off...slipped in the new valve and reinflated the tire to reseat the bead
    That's great idea