Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bush repairs on vehicles.

Re: Bush repairs on vehicles.

How about any quick fixes for a blown fuel pump in the tank?
    Hunting the promised land

Sometimes if your in tank fuel pump goes Ive seen guys hit the tank with a stick it was on a chev so maybe just a GM thing

Made it 14km down morice lake road on wensday the 12th... rear passenger rim exploded. Tire passed me in the ditch. There iam. Trailer on hitch, quad in the box, full slip tank in the box also. Rotor sitting in the mud. Busted out my trusty factory jack, got the ass in the air on blocks... jack decided it was going to die midway through lift number 3... so i had to put the truck in 4lo to glide up on to some stacked timbers after getting my trailer unhooked, pulled other tire off. Bashed out 4 wheel studs from the drivers side to put back in the passrnger side (6 snapped, 2 were intact, only found one lug nut. The rsdt and the entire rim except the inner 2” bead were ejected into the wilderness... never to be seen again) mounted my spare after removing passenger rear brakes and beating the rotor flat with a ball peen as it was damaged from sliding on gravel for 50’...

mader back to town, got some new wheel studs and nuts and picked up two rims cause my spare had cracked spokes (i hate aluminum rims)... had to weld 5 studs to the hub (thank u Jan) as the holes were ovaled out...

but here iam... hunting moose after a full day of muckery

tire that was on the rear was undamaged... i have no idea how it happened other then rim musta cracked then exploded... i torqued and greased EVERYTHING before leaving home. No wobble, shake, nothing.. just BOOM and the ass dropped...

luckily i was rolling along in 3rd at an idle and not on the highway...
    Last edited by RadHimself; 09-14-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

As far as that goes, cut a hole in your box to access the tank from the top, pull out the unit and attempt to clean it.. desperate to cut a hole? Always carry a hammer and a punch...

i started packing a dewalt recip saw and 2 batteries with wood and steel blades.. not only is it quieter then a chainsaw, but its lighter and hacks through bones and meat like you wouldnt beleive
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Quote Originally Posted by RadHimself View Post
    As far as that goes, cut a hole in your box to access the tank from the top, pull out the unit and attempt to clean it.. desperate to cut a hole? Always carry a hammer and a punch...

i started packing a dewalt recip saw and 2 batteries with wood and steel blades.. not only is it quieter then a chainsaw, but its lighter and hacks through bones and meat like you wouldnt beleive
    wtf man .... who cuts a hole in the truck box to get to a fuel pump that you most likely cannot repair by cleaning it. Usually if its dead, its dead and beyond trail side repair. Not to mention there is probably a frame cross member somewhere near that prevents it from being pulled up through the hole you cut. And a lot of times the tank isn't even under the box, but along the driver's or passenger's side putting the fuel pump somewhere under the cab itself....

man ... some of the advice on here ...

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    wtf man .... who cuts a hole in the truck box to get to a fuel pump that you most likely cannot repair by cleaning it. Usually if its dead, its dead and beyond trail side repair. Not to mention there is probably a frame cross member somewhere near that prevents it from being pulled up through the hole you cut. And a lot of times the tank isn't even under the box, but along the driver's or passenger's side putting the fuel pump somewhere under the cab itself....

man ... some of the advice on here ...
    How many trucks have you seen that had a filler neck not on the box lately?

While I agree that you probably cant clean it and are better off on the tappy-tape method...cutting a hole in the box is a common way to access the in tank pump on older trucks. Especially ones that dont have an empty fuel tank. And grand cherokees I think, but I avoid the jeep lifestyle. Nothing against it if that's what you're into, but it's not for me.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RadHimself View Post
    Made it 14km down morice lake road on wensday the 12th... rear passenger rim exploded. Tire passed me in the ditch. There iam. Trailer on hitch, quad in the box, full slip tank in the box also. Rotor sitting in the mud. Busted out my trusty factory jack, got the ass in the air on blocks... jack decided it was going to die midway through lift number 3... so i had to put the truck in 4lo to glide up on to some stacked timbers after getting my trailer unhooked, pulled other tire off. Bashed out 4 wheel studs from the drivers side to put back in the passrnger side (6 snapped, 2 were intact, only found one lug nut. The rsdt and the entire rim except the inner 2” bead were ejected into the wilderness... never to be seen again) mounted my spare after removing passenger rear brakes and beating the rotor flat with a ball peen as it was damaged from sliding on gravel for 50’...

mader back to town, got some new wheel studs and nuts and picked up two rims cause my spare had cracked spokes (i hate aluminum rims)... had to weld 5 studs to the hub (thank u Jan) as the holes were ovaled out...

but here iam... hunting moose after a full day of muckery

tire that was on the rear was undamaged... i have no idea how it happened other then rim musta cracked then exploded... i torqued and greased EVERYTHING before leaving home. No wobble, shake, nothing.. just BOOM and the ass dropped...

luckily i was rolling along in 3rd at an idle and not on the highway...
    Wow that sounds like a fun time! Good for you! That's quite the shit show.

Saw a guy in the chilcotin once who had broken off a knuckle on an old Ford. Jacked it up, chained a pine tree under it and drove until it wore the pine ski down enough to replace it. I was young, dont remember much more details, but dad offered him a ride and he declined.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Ya the hole in the box is a great addition...a piece welded on either side of the hole and you put the cut out piece back in the hole and self tap it down to the welded piece, almost looks factory. Makes fuel pump changes a pleasure.

It's not just a GM thing. I had an in tank fuel pump fail on a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. Got towed to a dealership where they thumped on the fuel tank bottom with a rubber mallet. The truck then started and they drove it into the bay. I was told that when the fuel pumps star to fail they seize up and a thump can jar them loose for a temporary fix.