Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush repairs on vehicles.

Bush repairs on vehicles.

I recently had a brake caliper sieze on my truck. I carry some tools and was able to pinch off the brake line and remove a brake pad. I was wondering if there is a better way to fix this issue while out in the bush?
    Hunting the promised land

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bush repairs on vehicles.

i took themm off aswell when it happened to me...

also put my uncles front end back toghether on his old chev...woth mystery shit i found ask him
    ..probably not a better way just limp to shop.

Not much else you could have done with what you had.

Brake fitting plugs are cheap though, throw a few assorted sizes in your toolbag. Pull the line and plug it at the junction block, you wont have to worry about losing brake fluid. Crimping the line slows it down but usually wont hold high pressure. Can completely remove the caliper as well.

Learned lots from the Kluskus trail over the years. (now it's a highway)

Vice Grips on a brake line will keep you moving.

pry the pads back with a large flat screw driver.if you take the tire off grab your can of wd 40 with the lil red straw and slip it through the rubber on the caliper cylinder and giver er a good squirt. theses are road side repairs not something bcaa would recommend.

I carry plugs in my tool box, or you could just pull the caliper off, put something between the pads so you don't pop the pistons out and dump all your fluid.

Brake fluid has to be a fluid that doesn't compress. Water will work in a pinch. You'll need to do some extensive maintenance afterward, but you'll get out of the bush with brakes.

I also have a wire brush, combine that with the weasel piss methods recommended earlier and you may just free up the piston again. Helpful to have a can of brake fluid for that too.

Check if your vehicle uses power steering fluid, or trans fluid for power steering.
    Carry some small hose clamps and extra bolts to plug a torn or broken line for trans coolers, power steering, etc. Or hit lordco for an assortment of brass jag fittings to patch lines.
    Also, in a pinch, a deep socket and hose clamps will work to repair a line. It will restrict flow, but it'll work. Fixed the propane system on a buddy's truck that way once.
    Last edited by Squamch; 09-12-2018 at 07:28 AM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Happened to me when out fishing, I had the piston blow out of the brake drum and dump fluid leaving my brakes useless.

I ended up jamming an earplug in the end of the brake line and then threading in a screw I pulled off the interior of the truck somewhere. It held great drove 2 hours all the way at home, to the parts store and ended up being able to use the same brake line when I repaired it.

NOW THIS COULD BE AN INREDIBLE THREAD!!!!!

Lets talk issue that have happened, and how they got fixed in the field so you could get home!!!!

Power steering hose got a small hole in it. (maybe due to tire blow out)
    Only noticed because we blew a tire (take air out of your tires a little when off road!)
    Oil just shooting out, in a small but constant stream, even with vehicle off an not running etc.

Got duct tape/and some hockey tape.
    Then used fishing line, monofilament, and made tight even, side by side wraps up and down for several inches,
    and then repeat over top for several layers.
    Then more duct tape over that.

`All was good for the week!

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I recently had a brake caliper sieze on my truck. I carry some tools and was able to pinch off the brake line and remove a brake pad. I was wondering if there is a better way to fix this issue while out in the bush?
    Trade in your 2004-2008 F150 should fix this lols (oops not a bush fix). In all seriousness I would remove completely and tie up as best as possible, or carry a couple of clamps like Squamch mentioned.

Had a tie rod come out of its socket one time on my old patch service truck (mid 90's chev 1 ton) , found that exactly 6 new bungee cords wrapped under tie rod and over upper control arm then zip tied together (god love zipties) will hold for approx. 70km of northern AB lease roads.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Suzuki samurai uses a cable for the clutch, not hydraulics. Housing failed and was buckling. I splinted it with a wrench, some diff breather hose, and tie wire. Lasted a couple months.

Oil drain plug fell out on a 4runner somehow. Used rad overflow bottle hose and a random bolt to seal up the hole.

Motor mount broke on an old toyota wheeler, ratchet strapped and chained it down.

Blew a heater hose on an xterra, had no tools. We were able to loosen the hose clamp with a nickel, whittle an appropriate sized stick, and plug the heater lines.

Hmmmm......what else have I done....

Glow plug relay died on an old Ford diesel, used the block heater wires to go straight from battery to glow plugs and got er fired up.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.