Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting BC and want to get a backcountry camping trip in. Looking for location recos

Visiting BC and want to get a backcountry camping trip in. Looking for location recos

Hey BC,
    I'll be visiting from Ontario for 3 weeks for work and was hoping to do a backcountry multi-day camping trip while I'm there. I've been wanting to do a mountain hunt for a while and I figure doing a camping trip would be the next best thing. Out east our topography is comparatively flat and our "mountains" would barely be considered hills where you are. Ideally I'd like to treat it like a scouting trip and see some animals while I'm there, so I'm looking for some recommendations on places to go.

I'm staying in Vancouver and would prefer something closer to there, but am open to anything. I don't really know anything about the area but I was thinking of places relatively local to Vancouver, like Mt Seymour Provincial Park or Cathedral mountain. It'd be an awesome bonus if a place is accessible by bus or something like that so i wouldn't have to rent a car but I know this is pretty unlikely. At the end of the day, I'll drive 2-3 hours in any direction for the right opportunity. I have 3 days for sure but I can probably stretch to 4.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to seeing the mountains.
    Best,
    Viktor

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Visiting BC and want to get a backcountry camping trip in. Looking for location r

Hey viktor, depending how hardcore you are and how much time you want to burn? The stein valley through hike has always peaked my interest. Do some googling and I'm sure you'll dig it.

Chris

Re: Visiting BC and want to get a backcountry camping trip in. Looking for location r

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post
    Hey viktor, depending how hardcore you are and how much time you want to burn? The stein valley through hike has always peaked my interest. Do some googling and I'm sure you'll dig it.

Chris

Backpacked the Stein a few years back. Once you get into the alpine above Stein lake it is absolutely beautiful. I’m not sure how many people still do the traverse and I believe the trail is pretty overgrown but it would make a fantastic multi day backpacking trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post

Chris
    Thanks Chris. A quick creep of your instagram leads me to believe you know what you're talking about. I basically want to get a full experience, with all the suck and exhaustion that comes along with it. I Googled Stein Valley and it said "[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]Sorry, your search appears to be outside our current coverage area for driving." [/COLOR]which I've never seen before. Is there a trail head I can park at with an address?

Google maps might not get it done. Check out a few of the hiking websites. They are usually pretty detailed.

Here is the first link I could find

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/37089/

The Stein is best done by being dropped off at one end and picked up at the other. I believe the road at the Lizzie lake end is washed out and will require another day of hiking to make it down to a traversable road. When I did it I started at the Lytton end and walked out the Pemberton end.

Hey Viktor,

When are you coming out here and what sort of gear will you have access to?

The later in the year and the higher up you go the bigger chance of crappy weather (snow/cold). Things can get pretty ugly really fast!

The Stein Valley is amazing, but if you head up Hwy 99 towards Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton there are likely more "established" trails.

Cheers!

I'll arrive next Monday the 17th but have work commitments until October 7th. The article shared earlier in this thread has that exact "ugly really fast" scenario and it doesn't sound fun, so I'll pack some cold weather clothes. I also might not go as high or maybe camp at lower elevations.

I think more "established" might be a good idea. based on the article and Longwalks's experiences, it sounds like the Stein will give me a hard and make it difficult to cover distance.

Any place in particular i should check out from the 3 areas you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    The Stein is best done by being dropped off at one end and picked up at the other. I believe the road at the Lizzie lake end is washed out and will require another day of hiking to make it down to a traversable road. When I did it I started at the Lytton end and walked out the Pemberton end.
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll have the luxury of being dropped off/picked up. I'll have to rent a car just to get to a trailhead anyway, so I'll need to come back to it one way or another.

Hello Viktor
    Check out any of these websites for ideas . ClubTread.com Vancouver Trails, Trail Peak . Garibaldi Park could offer you something such as trip to Elfin Lakes then carry on to Mamquam Lake .
    Arctic Lake