Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5-15C moose LEH change of plans

5-15C moose LEH change of plans

My partner and I have decided to go to the upper portion of 5-15C for our September moose hunt.

He had positive advice from the biologist about the Matthew River- Cariboo River area. Anyway, it's all last minute as we're leaving Friday and I had planned and researched the southeast portion of the zone ever since we found out we got the draw.

Now I'm starting from scratch. Is there a camp site at Maeford Lake? I know there is one at Ghost Lake.

I'm hoping to possibly find a place on our own where we can set up camp.

Also I see I could possibly get up to Cunningham Pass Road on forest roads from Likely but also of course there is a highway from Quesnel to Barkerville that will be easier on the borrowed trailer I'm towing. I'd have to go pretty slow on a knarly forest service road.

Oh... I just saw that I could take the Cariboo Lake road from Likely up past Maeford Lake to The Ghost lake campsite. How's that road?
    Last edited by MichelD; 09-11-2018 at 01:43 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 5-15C moose LEH change of plans

Cant offer you any help, but good luck on your hunt. Hope you guys are successful. Look forward to hearing about it

I did the route a couple years back and it was fine. Ghost lake campsite is very small and is noisy (waterfall) with only 2 official sites and parking on the road.

The road from likely is fine, ive taken my travel trailer up there for 20 years Michele.
    There is NO campsite at Maeford lake..guides cabin rd is blocked off..dont want to even attempt that rd.
    Its WAAAAAAY shorter from likely..waaaaaaay.
    The road to the cunningham pass rd from quesnel is better but the rd south..cunningham is same as from the south.
    Been up there for 30 years, guiding hunting. ..anything else just call..
    Cheers good luck
    Srupp

Awesome Steven. Glad to hear it. We're just trying to figure out where to pull off and camp for the night on the way out of Likely after a full day of driving Friday. If we even get that far. Ha ha. All we need is a wide spot by the side of the road. We could always wimp out and motel camp in Likely I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    The road from likely is fine, ive taken my travel trailer up there for 20 years Michele.
    There is NO campsite at Maeford lake..guides cabin rd is blocked off..dont want to even attempt that rd.
    Its WAAAAAAY shorter from likely..waaaaaaay.
    The road to the cunningham pass rd from quesnel is better but the rd south..cunningham is same as from the south.
    Been up there for 30 years, guiding hunting. ..anything else just call..
    Cheers good luck
    Srupp

There is a camp site at Ladies Creek on Cariboo Lake, then a few good spots on the way into Ghost Lake. If you want a spot to stop just outside Likely, just turn right and just beside the Cariboo River there is a big space on the town side of the bridge.

xpeier

There is a campsite off of the road on the Matthew River. It is after the Ghost Lake turn off. It is on the C side and it is a great launching point to hunt that whole area. I will be on the B side as of the 21st

Hmmm after leaving Likely..travelling towards Cunningham pass.there is a large gravel pit, large level, no mud just gravel..good place to drop anchor for the night.its on your left.i would not attempt ladies creek camp..not with a travel trailer imo.
    If you get tired fast..just before the Likely Horsefly turnoff there is a LARGE gas station at 150 mile house, on your right..at Pigeon rd..there is a large parking lot on the south side of the gas station..good place to pull in and stop overnight.
    Srupp

Good Luck! you should do just fine. Pulled a nice bull outta there last year but no LEH luck this year. Ladies creek rec site is ok if you have a smaller sized trailer but would be a PITA at night after a long drive. Along the way up after Likely there are lots of areas to pull off to the side of the road safely. Road is very passable, even with a borrowed trailer if you change your mind, lots of prime areas around Likely where you probably already researched and lots of places to camp. Any questions ask away! Its a beauty of a spot!

I have been up that way a few times and the road in from Likely is way faster than coming around from the north side of the zone. I have stayed at Ghost Lake a few times, there is pull out by Comet Creek that would fit a trailer, but I would recommend talking to Chris Franke from Mountain Spirit Outfitters first. Good luck....I'll be up there for Oct 1st.

Jason