Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Cave and the Heartbreak: a 10 yr old boys first goat hunt

Re: The Cave and the Heartbreak: a 10 yr old boys first goat hunt

Amazing story...Huge congrats to your son. That's a tremendous accomplishment and I can really see the pride beaming off you. The end was definitely heart wrenching.. However I think your honesty, and how you handled it was truly amazing. Thanks to you, your son will grow up to be (and already is) an exceptionally skillful and ethical hunter. You're not a screw up of a dad. You're a terrific dad.

I second Dash's post. Well said,
    jel

amazing story and hunt. thanks very much for sharing! Your boy's dedication and stamina is impressive for a 10 year old! Way to go!

Let us know what happens to the goat ..... honestly, i would not have self-reported that. You're a better man than I.

Absolutely, a wicked and most awesome post in a long time!!!
    Great pictures, and lots of them in detail, just incredible.
    Congrats to both of you, something you both will always remember.
    Reminds me of when I was young with my dad (got me a bit misty to be honest)
    I can guarantee you, a hunt like that will just "cement the bond" between you and your son forever!!!
    Awesome....and thanks. (just love alpine hunting)

My vote for Post of the Year. Great story, well told pictures are an added bonus.

Definitely one of the best hunting stories I have read anywhere. Highs, lows, suspense, excitement, heart sinking. Almost felt like I was there, minus the strenuous work and getting pelted by rocks.

I think you handled the tag situation correctly and not tainting it. Had a scare with a tag once I misplaced after I cut it and couldn't find it. Finally found it after ransacking the jeep (already half way home) but contemplated asking my wife for her tag at one point before hand. I don't think I would have as I wouldn't want to implicate her... wrong reason I know, but nobody is perfect.

I am looking forward to your next story already. Thanks for writing all that up.

Lots of rules to follow. Double that with a 10 yr old. Sucks when one slips through the cracks. Nice hunt and well done.

Well told adventure!!! Few 10 year olds could do that hunt with all its challenges. Most would never contemplate a second trip but I am confident there will be many more with your son. Many of us have done “stupid” things on hunts and have hopefully learnt from each. Have been in a similar circumstance with a buddy on a sheep hunt and it boiled down to what was the law, what kind of example would we be to our kids and could we live at peace with our decision in the years ahead. The right decision was made . . . no regrets.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

just seen this one. Wow great pics and story, what an accomplishment! The goat might never hang on his wall but he will never forget this hunt
    Last edited by todbartell; 01-26-2019 at 12:13 AM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I missed it too - Seen his thread on the spring Black Bear - Awesome Goat ! Great you GOT all the pics - don't Beat yourself up to Bad there Dad Stuff happens ! RJ