Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Cave and the Heartbreak: a 10 yr old boys first goat hunt

Re: The Cave and the Heartbreak: a 10 yr old boys first goat hunt

What an amazing hunt and even better accomplishment for your son. Unfortunate about the tag but your son will always have the memories and pictures.
    Live to Hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by silvertipp View Post
    This is what you get for being honest
    i know of one other person with a similar story
    He was able to get it back
    apparently they have an auction at the end of the year for the confiscated stuff
    he had a taxidermist by it back for him
    i would ask the co about this
    I would also try to speak to his superior and see if there is something that could be done
    good luck
    I agree with this, there's got to be a way $$$ wise to get your boys goat back....and good on ya for being honest, learn from your mistake and move on.....heck of a job dad and son, the biggest accomplishment you did Jimbob is mentoring your son in being a good and ethical hunter...

Amazing. .photos
    Amazing adventure
    Amazing Father
    Amazing son
    Amazing goat..

I too have walked in your shoes, honesty is always the best policy. .nothing the CO could hand out would match the punishment you handed out to yourself .the lesson your son learned far exceeds the trophy of a goat. .the memories of him and his Dad will live on for his entire life.
    Thank you for sharing this monumental success.
    Congrads to both Son and Father.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    Man what an ending, I think my heart broke a bit as well reading that. Tremendous writing, awesome photos and a beautiful billy...definitely quite the oversight but it probably happens plenty of times every year and most guys just cross their fingers, drive home and punch a tag as soon as they can. You took full ownership, didn't make any excuses and without a doubt taught your boy the true meaning of ethics, that's big. Damn shame to lose the cape, I hope something is able to be worked out and that you guys were able to at least eat a few meals off him! Did you ever end up taking a peek inside the cave or was it just not possible to get up there?
    The first time I saw that cave I didn't think for a second the goat was in there but I did want to check it out. It must go in deep enough to hide the goat because I didn't see him in there until he came out. It was a very steep slope up to it so it would be a challenge to explore it. Very cool though.

The image of that billy standing at the mouth of that cave is burned forever into my mind. With the rocks coming down at us I was legitimately afraid. Baseball and golfball size rocks were bouncing off the slope and whizzing by our heads. It was as if the goat was kicking rocks down on purpose.

The first shot hit high through the spinous process of a couple vertebrae (the spinal cord was not hit) and took out a chunk of the offside scapula. There was not much bleeding as no major vessels were hit so it was not lethal. I guess the goat figured he would hole up the cave instead of taking off. Josh was actually really upset with himself about blowing the 70 yd first shot. His mistake was not supporting the rear of the stock, so it dropped a touch at the shot. It made for a heck of a better story though.

We ate the backstraps and tenderloins when it was still in our possession.

I'm not going to lie, my first thought was to buy a tag when we got back into town then wait a few days and cut it. But that would have tainted the hunt. I would have had to lie and then told my son to lie as well. Plus the consequence of getting caught would be way worse. Nothing can take that hunt away from us BUT if we got caught and lost our licenses for the next 5 years, how many hunts and great memories would we lose?

It was an honest mistake but it was our mistake to own.

That was an awesome story and a few teachable moments as well. This sounds to me like the start of a Father/Son tradition. Well done the both of you.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Reading that was an amazing way to start my day... Thank you.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Man you guys are in good shape to climb like that, Whoa! You must train all the time.
    Those rocks could hurt Hahahaha
    Jel -- nice thread.

Great hunt for the both of you, and thats all that maters ! good job, mistakes happen. Well done.
    Remember, licencing is just the government selling our rights back to us.

Congrats to you and the boy it will be a hunt neither forgets