Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cave and the Heartbreak: a 10 yr old boys first goat hunt

Re: The Cave and the Heartbreak: a 10 yr old boys first goat hunt

So proud of my son. This was a man's hunt. He earned every bit of this.

We were on cloud nine and we came down hard and fast. I pulled the book of our licenses out and there was my goat tag but where was Josh's? Then it hit me, I realized I never bought him one. I could give 1000 excuses about being busy but I SCREWED up. Making the best of a horrible situation I cut my tag hoping that might satisfy something with Josh being a youth hunter and me being the accompanying hunter. The decision was made that we would contact the CO as soon as we got back in town. We were sad but still thrilled about the hunt. The next day we hiked the goat out and stopped by the CO office back in town. No one was there. We called the hotline and reported our mistake.

A few days later the CO showed up at our home to get a statement then drove away with Josh's goat and most of my heart. I have never felt like such a screw up of a Dad. It sucks that my son loses out when I'm the one that should pay. We were given a warning but he said he had no discretion and had to confiscate the goat. I would gladly pay a fine if it meant my son could keep his goat. He earned it, every ounce and every inch. So proud of him and so disappointed in myself.

wow, great story

take heart, you have set your son up for a lifetime of always doing the right thing, and most importantly, doing the right thing when no one's looking

well done

chris

That is a heart break. I can't imagine what youre feeling. Your son will forgive and be ok with it but I bet it will be with you always. What a great hunt and harvest, just the misfortune of a tiny error that Im sure will never happen again.

What an awesome hunt to share with your son, he definitely earned his place as a goat hunter! Heartbreak for sure.

What an adventure! Your son will have great memories of this for years. Regardless of losing the goat, what a great example of a man of integrity.

This is what you get for being honest
    i know of one other person with a similar story
    He was able to get it back
    apparently they have an auction at the end of the year for the confiscated stuff
    he had a taxidermist by it back for him
    i would ask the co about this
    I would also try to speak to his superior and see if there is something that could be done
    good luck

People get busy they forget, the boy knows that now, hey his dad showed him what to do properly and that will impress people the most.
    Jello -- You were honest and true -- and that is what is impressive to me -- very well done --