Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bull moose in the butcher shop.

Re: Bull moose in the butcher shop.

Well done tiggr..does that mean the bears are back?
    Seen plenty of fresh bear scat yesterday but remember you saying bears seemed scarce this spring..
    Congrads
    Steven

Normally see 30 bears. Seen 2 this year. I know of 1 more but he is a grizzly, beer can sized crap. Wolves cleaned them out.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

So just a heads up. 16 guys with 6 moose tags in 5 different camps ended up with only 1 moose shot. I know of 5 LEH tags that went unfilled in the Horsefly area. 1 was filled. 1 for 6 isn't good. Only 1 bull was even seen. We split our Bull moose 7 ways!! LIG
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Hmmm 120 tags in a zone in region 5..biologists expect 20 moose harvested
    Oct 1..14...32 tags..biologists expect 20 moose harvested
    Late season 100 tags..expect 20 moose harvested.
    All 3 hunts are completely different strategies..note the expected success rate for Oct 1..14..THE rut..
    Seen 5 bull moose..out past Horsefly so far this fall..but no bears..no bucks..
    And I do not have a moose tag..
    Does seem to be less moose than " normal "..however during sept..edge of cuts, ponds, early or late in the day..during the day..go into the forest amongst the trees and look for bedded up bulls.not the easiest things to do.
    It is without a doubt much easier for the next 25 days during the rut..using rutting season strategies. .horse urine scents..calling. .
    Tiggrr you guys did real good...and your group isnt all that old.
    Congrads
    Steven

Geat Kill tigrr ! Good Eats there ! RJ

I have spent about 4 days a week out at our cabin on the horsefly side of Quesnel lake since about mid may. Hunted spring bear pretty hard, and while we did see a pretty decent amount of bears....we did not see a single bear that was even close to being a shooter....everything solidly under 5'. Saw a few more moose than the last 2 years, but still pretty slim pickins. took 5 days to fill our bull tag out there 2 years ago....only bull we saw. About to head out tommorrow for 10 days of deer hunting out there....expect it will take some serious man hours to get our tags filled...although, like the moose it does seem a little better than the last 2 years.

Congrats on the bull and bear Tiger!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Good LUCK Chris RJ

In 300+ km's of scouting I only ran across 2 sets of bull moose tracks. 1 is dead. 1 loves his big swamp. I ran away. I won't even tell where due to the fact they might ask me to help retrieve it. Think 30 acre swamp. 2nd rye.

Good luck Chris..straight shooting.
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    In 300+ km's of scouting I only ran across 2 sets of bull moose tracks. 1 is dead. 1 loves his big swamp. I ran away. I won't even tell where due to the fact they might ask me to help retrieve it. Think 30 acre swamp. 2nd rye.
    Getting pretty close to the time that they can be coaxed out with a little caterwaul persuasion. I sucked one from across a small lake on the 26th of September one year. That was east of Quesnel. So this one might be ripe for the plucking. However, with no snow at elevation, there are times that the bulls that spent their summers above the mosquito and horse flies will take their time descending whether cows are in estrus or not. They take their chances on the second estrus when it is cooler and they can warm their dingle berries against a hot muff.
    Congrats on that harvest tigrr. Seven way split is pretty skinny. You might want to wave your portion a few times in front of your face for the aroma effect before you actually eat it.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"