Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bull moose in the butcher shop.

Re: Bull moose in the butcher shop.

I could remember going into Antione lake and always running into moose ... always referred to it as “ between the lakes” with Eric lake close by , have not hunted it since it went to LEH .. big mule deer also in the fields just before also.... thinking most of the old cabins around the lake are still there.

Hmmmmmmm
    Cheers
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    I could remember going into Antione lake and always running into moose ... always referred to it as “ between the lakes” with Eric lake close by , have not hunted it since it went to LEH .. big mule deer also in the fields just before also.... thinking most of the old cabins around the lake are still there.
    Since the 6 wolves move into Antoine lake the moose and bear numbers have dropped significantly. That and the Indians shooting the cow moose.
    Trappers took 5 of the 6 wolves but 3 have joined the loner.
    Don't know when the LEH started in this area but it was some time ago.
    The fields you refer too is all private land and posted.
    The cabins are 5 new homes now too.
    Not sure when you were here last.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

It’s was along time ago ... we would take the trail to the left before the road that went into Antoine and camp down close to Eric lake .... remember always meeting an older gentle man by the name of Noah .. he had the cabin across from the cabins you say are now houses ... if you look on google earth you’ll see what I mean ... his place had the long corderoy dock to access Antione .... I would think “between” the lakes is still a possible place to explore .. I will have to go check it out with my brother ( lives in 83 mile ) things change sadly ... It was and still I think a nice place to check out.

Was Noah an Italian? 300 yards down that trail is a gate sometimes locked. Corduroy dock took 52 loads of fill to get to deep enough water to float a boat.
    Sadly 15 years ago between the lakes was logged out and has been replanted. New cut blocks have been laid out this summer. More changes in the works. Fir beetle taking its toll.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Yes Noah was Italian .. older and super nice to us showed us around his place .... back in the day ,awesome place ... my dad hunted Antoine starting in 1966 and took a couple of 50” inchers out of there .. I know its sad to see the change .... ah to be back in the day ... and by the way nice moose that ya got !!! Horsefly will always be a special place !!!

Noah is gone, his son the rcmp is gone, and his son is gone. Young ones have it now. Don't see much of them anymore. The first trappers cabin mid way down the lake has fallen down. It was built in the late 50's and a guide worked out of it for 15 years. I met the niece of the trappers cabin builder this year. A whole bunch of land around all the lakes was bought up and posted no hunting. The moose numbers aren't around like they used to be. Too much pressure. Used to see 10 to 15 moose in the winter. Now we are lucky to see 3. I blame it mostly on wolves. Indians 2nd for shooting cows.
    Yes back in the day has a memory of the great numbers that once existed but now are gone. The locals say the forestry spraying drove all the deer out of the area. I don't like deer so it makes no difference to me. Moose and bear fill my freezer.

Your living the dream up there tigrr ... I remember the hunts as if I was hunting them yesterday ... good memories !! : )