Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Long Range Hunting Rifle

Re: New Long Range Hunting Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by kootenay88 View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back guys. I am currently shooting 160 grain accubonds out of the 7mm rem and I have been fairly impressed with their performance on deer. I am not 100% confident if they carry enough energy at 5-600yards to smack down a a big bull.
    That gun and bullet would be good on moose out to 600 for sure. I took a bull 2 years ago at 400 yards with my .280 xbolt with 140gr noslers. he dropped where he stood. Accuracy trumps power. Although I am taking my .300 wsm this year....

Shoot some ones BIG rifle and see if you actually want to hunt with something that wallops you. Good way to develop a nice flinch. If you cant hit a pie plate at 500 yards every time, then become a better hunter and get closer. Reading the wind is a lot of times more important than knowing the drop. 600 yards is a long way to
    pack out a moose! Practice that with a 100 lb sack of potatoes on your back. I don't mean to be all negative but know what you are getting into, or think you want to get into.
    cheers.
    B.

Shoot your 7mm at a steel plate at 600 then shoot it with a real magnum and im sure you will go with the magnum. Yes the 7mm will kill at 6 or 7 but it doesnt do it with authority. Shooting a bull elk at 600 with a real magnum is going to be the choice of most. You can use the 7mm for smaller game. Many hunters use different rifles for their diffrent styles of hunting. Buy the 338 but in lapua if you do go 338.
    Hunting the promised land

Hello,

I am looking at purschasing a "do it all" long range rifle for mainly elk,deer,bear and moose. I currently own a tikka T3x in 7mm rem, but I am looking for some thing alittle bigger like a 338win mag or 300wsm. The rifle would have to be consistently accurate to about 500-600 yards. I have been looking at Christensen arms or possible kimber. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    Kootenay88
    338RUM Nuff said... Go big or go home... Or appreciate that beauty of the 7mm. I personally think the 7mm is fantastic, technically the 7 will shoot flatter and drift less.

Last edited by BCHUNTER21; 05-21-2022 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Shoot your 7mm at a steel plate at 600 then shoot it with a real magnum and im sure you will go with the magnum. Yes the 7mm will kill at 6 or 7 but it doesnt do it with authority. Shooting a bull elk at 600 with a real magnum is going to be the choice of most. You can use the 7mm for smaller game. Many hunters use different rifles for their diffrent styles of hunting. Buy the 338 but in lapua if you do go 338.
    So the 7mm isnt a 'real' magnum?

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I am currently shooting 160 grain accubonds out of the 7mm rem and I have been fairly impressed with their performance on deer. I am not 100% confident if they carry enough energy at 5-600yards to smack down a a big bull.
    What MV are you starting with? With it’s .531 BC and even just 2900 fps MV, the 160 accubond still has over 2000 fps and 1500 ft/lbs at 600yds. More then enough to ensure proper bullet opening and enough for an ethical kill on a moose. FWIW.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

I got a Lapua for sale that shoots minute of moose out to 1300yds, turn key package. It's an ugly savage but it sure stacks 285 Amax's in neat little clusters with 2800fps mv...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I got a Lapua for sale that shoots minute of moose out to 1300yds, turn key package. It's an ugly savage but it sure stacks 285 Amax's in neat little clusters with 2800fps mv...

How does the recoil of the lapua compare to a 300win mag??

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

How does the recoil of the lapua compare to a 300win mag??
    You usually get your fillings replaced after every range session, but the recoil is manageable
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America