Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Long Range Hunting Rifle

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: New Long Range Hunting Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by kootenay88 View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back guys. I am currently shooting 160 grain accubonds out of the 7mm rem and I have been fairly impressed with their performance on deer. I am not 100% confident if they carry enough energy at 5-600yards to smack down a a big bull.
    Try some 175gr ELD-X and see how they work, but as 300rum700 says the 160AB should be fine, AB and the ELD-X bullets two of the best made long range hunting bullets, you could even give the Barnes 168gr LRX a whirl.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 09-10-2018 at 07:55 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Something that may help make your current 7mm feel more comfortable with longer range would be a bit heavier of a sock. I had put a B&C on my .300 T3, even tho it didnt help with the rifles accuracy itself, it did help me hold it steadier in a rest position. I think a bit of a flatter surface of the bottom of the forestock seemed to help that a bit.

Just a thought anyway, but if a new rifle is in the budget, there’s a lot to choose from these days.

Cheers.

Do you actually have any experience shooting the 7mm rm to 500 yards that leads you to think you need something bigger?

The 7mm is the epitome of long range cartridges.......

7mm is a good cartridge but if you're looking for something different, go Nosler 28 or 30, if you go 33 it will kick like a mule.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    7mm is a good cartridge but if you're looking for something different, go Nosler 28 or 30, if you go 33 it will kick like a mule.

I have just the answer for those nasty mules......... a Gary Flach built custom brake !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

He does not NEED a new gun, he WANTS a new gun..

Go for it.. dont let anyone talk you out of a shooter that you love
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I have just the answer for those nasty mules......... a Gary Flach built custom brake !

He does make some nice brakes that I saw, the 33 would be like a supercharged 338 Win Mag, like shooting Volkswagen's at game! )
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIn1G8BeUuc

The Gunwerks company is one of the biggest reasons for a surge in long range hunting. Their guns, equipment, and TRAINING are pretty amazing. Also, their show has some amazing feats. Their bulletr of choice 7mm remington magnum

A bull elk over 1300 yds and the 7 mm did fine in the video. For 500-600 yds the 7 mm RM is great. If you want another gun then go for it but don't think for a second you need a bigger caliber.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Do a new rifle! Life is too short for just 1!! 300 RUM, or a 7mm RUM, STW. or a 28-30 Nosler! Brake any of these, and your shooting long distance, with plenty of oomf for killing stuff! I just bought a 338 win mag. Gonna use it for elk, and moose, with 225gr pills. Not gonna be a 500 yrd gun though, up close to 200yrds I think? Have fun looking and shopping! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"