Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Long Range Hunting Rifle

New Long Range Hunting Rifle

Hello,

I am looking at purschasing a "do it all" long range rifle for mainly elk,deer,bear and moose. I currently own a tikka T3x in 7mm rem, but I am looking for some thing alittle bigger like a 338win mag or 300wsm. The rifle would have to be consistently accurate to about 500-600 yards. I have been looking at Christensen arms or possible kimber. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    Kootenay88

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: New Long Range Hunting Rifle

look for an used Kimber Montana 8400 Mag Bolt face and build a 28 Nosler or a 30 Nosler , use a #3 Benchmark 26" long and you'll be a happy Camper, maybe add a brake if your going to be shooting lots or laying prone.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I really doubt there's anything your Tikka 7mm Rem mag can't do out to 500-600 yards. You already have a gun/caliber that will kill everything in BC.

agreed. run with what you have til it proves not to do the task
    Better to be a better shot with a lighter recoiling rifle instead of being less-better with a big hammer
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I'm Currently using a Christensen Arms Summit Ti TH and have had very good success My rifle is Chambered in 300 RUM I shoot a 200Gr Berger Hybrid at 3145FPS with phenomenal accuracy I'm very comfortable out to 700Yards. It is normally topped with a NightForce Atacr but have recently switched it out for a light weight Swarovski Z3 for my Mountain Goat hunt.

The Fierce line has all these rifles beat. Set your budget and choose your calibre, they have options all the way from $2500-$6000.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. For long range think high BC frangible bullets and moderate to fast muzzle velocities. 338wm does not make the cut imo, and the 300wsm just squeaks in. 7RM trumps both imo. As said a tikka can be tweaked and loaded appropriately for mid range work in the 5-600 yd range quite easily. Before forking out the dough on a new smokepole I'd suggest working on burning up the 7RM barrel for practice, and research what cartridge will suit your shooting needs best.
    Cheers
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

You certainly can make use of your 7mm Rem Mag as other have suggested above, maybe check out some heavier bullets with it and see how it responds.

It would be a lot cheaper option but certainly takes the fun out the new rifle option !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I am currently shooting 160 grain accubonds out of the 7mm rem and I have been fairly impressed with their performance on deer. I am not 100% confident if they carry enough energy at 5-600yards to smack down a a big bull.

That load is more than capable at that distance.