Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dease River First Nation bans hunting

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: Dease River First Nation bans hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    All this time I thought universities taught students how to think, not what to think.
    Quite often being taught how to think leads people to similar conclusions, perhaps giving the impression of being taught "what to think". The skill of "critical thinking" will generally direct those employing it in similar directions of thought, independent of their personal experiences.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
    I personally spoke with the RCMP in the area last year. On literally every single forest service road there is a sign asking non- natives to refrain from using the areas for any type of recreational use. The RCMP essentially told me just to ignore the signs all together, they are a pretty decent band of natives from what I understand, so I wouldn't expect things to get too heated.
    I think it's important to try and not take signs like that personally. Even the road blocks being assembled, aren't there to specifically make our lives more difficult. Part of it is the way land title in common law is legally established. For their claims to have even a chance of recognition in court, FN need to point to evidence of having enforced that title. You can't just say you own something, without any documentation.

UN’s restitution plan.

I think the U.N. has out
    lived their usefulness. They started out helping countries in need of help to want to be dicktators of the world.

"In the interim, perhaps F&W clubs or the BCWF should all get together and assemble a legally informed "best practice statement or flowchart" for hunters planning on heading into territory potentially under dispute. Thoughts? " This from Pemby mess

I would like to see something like that, at least you can make whatever decision you decide from some sort of maybe legal platform

We have an NDP Government that caters to anti-hunting groups and likes to play kiss-ass to the natives.

There wont be any backing for resident hunters, of any sort, from Government on this issue. These goofballs shut down the grizzly hunt with no reasoning whatsoever. Any who believes they actually care about any of our hunting interests is kidding themselves.

Looks like we are the funding model...the current “group “ in Ottawa seems to think that we have all the $ and want to give it all to the fn without strings....I better not start on a rant.

All this crap lately is making want to "kick Rocko's Ass"!
    (Jelly will know who I am talking about)

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post

There are all kinds of tools that can be used to legally assert oneself, but talking about using a firearm in the bush as a tool to intimidate will get the rights of all hunters and firearm users shutdown. In the eyes of Canadian law, firearms can generally only be used for two legitimate civilian purposes: hunting game, and sport shooting. Anything else is normally considered illegitimate and is grounds for having one's legally possessed firearms removed.
    You are the voice of reason many times on here but you have completely flipped what I said. I wonder if sometimes you are so quick to be the virtuous one on here you don't actually digest what was said. I never said anything about intimidating anyone. I said if people are confronted with armed people in the bush they may not wait to see if they get shot, or beat up. Ask the bear hunter and his son that were held at gun point on the lower Lillooet last year how that experience was.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    You are the voice of reason many times on here but you have completely flipped what I said. I wonder if sometimes you are so quick to be the virtuous one on here you don't actually digest what was said. I never said anything about intimidating anyone. I said if people are confronted with armed people in the bush they may not wait to see if they get shot, or beat up. Ask the bear hunter and his son that were held at gun point on the lower Lillooet last year how that experience was.
    While I'll admit, I don't always take them time to bat about all the implications behind a particular point of view, i try to do my best like anyone else. I understand you weren't necessarily advocating for a violent approach, personally, but we are responsible for what we say, be it in person or in the digital ether.

Below, is your initial comment that raised my eyebrows:

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Looks like this will be the year for shoot outs in the bush. We have all been talking about it for a while now. "What will I do when confronted by a group of armed men in the woods?". I know guys that are going to shoot first. I'm sure both sides are not backing down so this fall will set the precedent for the country going forward. Everyone be careful out there.
    Sometimes a prediction, offered alongside the value systems of "other people that I know", can be understood (or misunderstood) as an endorsement of the hypothetical scenario tabled for discussion. If that was not your intent, i apologize for misconstruing the statement, but perhaps you will concede; other readers might understand it similarly to how i've framed it above. Its how people get all stoked up.

Often my responses to the comment I'm quoting, aren't directed entirely at said quote. As in this example, I was using your advanced sentiment to address commonly misunderstood ideas that I know others hold:. Particularly those on the fence with bad ideas. People use discussion for all kinds of purposes. Sometimes they're just thinking externally. Myself included.

As often as I may misunderstand others, I'm positive others misunderstand me at least as often. In reference to my self perceived virtue, I wasn't meaning to be deliberately adversarial, or trying to call you out as a "bad person". I tend to see things as "problem vs solution", rather than "right vs wrong". Sometimes people see things as "right" regardless that it may not be the solution at all, or may even be the problem. Group think can get going like a grassfire in July, and it tends to change perceptions of right and wrong just as fast.

Pemby, I try and read some of your posts by I fall asleep before I get thru them

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea