Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dease River First Nation bans hunting

Re: Dease River First Nation bans hunting

I will be going hunting following the hunting regs not FN closures. I will not seek conflict but I will not be stopped by FN closure

Looks like this will be the year for shoot outs in the bush. We have all been talking about it for a while now. "What will I do when confronted by a group of armed men in the woods?". I know guys that are going to shoot first. I'm sure both sides are not backing down so this fall will set the precedent for the country going forward. Everyone be careful out there.

So be it, we have pampered these tenants on OUR land too long.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    What do we expect after years of suggesting each Band is an autonomous "Nation" who could establish their own governments within the wider context of Canadian society. It naturally leads to segregation, separated rules based on ancestry, and general animosity between groups..........."way to go Supreme Court of Canada" you've sown the seeds of racial hatred for years to come.
    Don't forget our countries universities role in this. I believe the humanities departments are almost entirely made up of revolutionary marxists. Just go onto any university website, the humanities department and look at their staff bio's and steering committee members. Google their names. I find a lot of far left anti-capitalist revolutionary dogma.

I believe the far left has realized the "revolutionary potential" of the natives in their fight against capitalist western society and to me it seems like they are revving them up and turning them lose on the foundations of our country. They also have the UN to back them up.

It seems our universities now have courses with material like "radical geography" taught by anarchist/activist professors where a large portion of the students grade is from joining an activist group, protesting and writing up reports on that. They are turning out activists in every field.

"STOLEN LAND : STOLEN VOICES

Canada and Israel are both built on land and resources stolen by European settlers; both are still sustained by the ongoing repression of indigenous peoples. The indigenous peoples of Canada and Palestine are on the front lines resisting the destruction of the land by militarism and industrial extraction. In the mainstream media and the halls of power, indigenous activists’ voices and stories have been silenced – they are treated as terrorists or historical curiosities. This evening will explore the commonalities of indigenous struggles for land and freedom in Canada and in Palestine as well as connections to the global fight for a decolonized world."

"activist archeology"

GEOGRAPHY!
    Last edited by Sirloin; 09-10-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Looks like this will be the year for shoot outs in the bush. We have all been talking about it for a while now. "What will I do when confronted by a group of armed men in the woods?". I know guys that are going to shoot first. I'm sure both sides are not backing down so this fall will set the precedent for the country going forward. Everyone be careful out there.
    Not only is this approach incredibly stupid, strategically in the larger picture its like running face first into a brick wall.
    This will work against us and our interests in such a major way, both for gun rights and hunting.

Tell these people to keep their damn cool and avoid this kind of thing.

I personally spoke with the RCMP in the area last year. On literally every single forest service road there is a sign asking non- natives to refrain from using the areas for any type of recreational use. The RCMP essentially told me just to ignore the signs all together, they are a pretty decent band of natives from what I understand, so I wouldn't expect things to get too heated.
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

Just ignore the signs like all the other signs we ignore, we ignore the Speed Signs and No Parking signs or any other signs, signs, every where a sign, do this, don't do that can't you, raw heeeed the sigh hinessss? No Trespassing!
    Jello -- You put the signs up, every where a sign, If God was here, He'd tell yah to your face, " Man your some kinda sinnerrrrrrr." Yah put fences up to like ahhhh keep us out and like eh keep Mother Nature Innnnnnnnn?
    Last edited by Jelvis; 09-10-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: SIGNS SIGNS EVERY WHERE A SIGN?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloin View Post
    Not only is this approach incredibly stupid, strategically in the larger picture its like running face first into a brick wall.
    This will work against us and our interests in such a major way, both for gun rights and hunting.

Tell these people to keep their damn cool and avoid this kind of thing.
    You can fiddle while Rome burns but it is happening now. I am not calling for violence and I hope it doesn't happen but people have a right to defend themselves. I was born here. I have rights. Wait till you get kicked out of your home, it will happen soon if this is allowed.

All this time I thought universities taught students how to think, not what to think.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    You can fiddle while Rome burns but it is happening now. I am not calling for violence and I hope it doesn't happen but people have a right to defend themselves. I was born here. I have rights. Wait till you get kicked out of your home, it will happen soon if this is allowed.
    You have to learn what your rights actually are, and are not; before you can effectively defend them. Your right to defend yourself with violence is actually very limited. It doesn't allow for people to force a confrontation, for example. If you had an opportunity to remove yourself from the situation prior to using or threatening to use violence, the law will look on you as being at least as guilty as those you deemed a causal threat.

There are all kinds of tools that can be used to legally assert oneself, but talking about using a firearm in the bush as a tool to intimidate will get the rights of all hunters and firearm users shutdown. In the eyes of Canadian law, firearms can generally only be used for two legitimate civilian purposes: hunting game, and sport shooting. Anything else is normally considered illegitimate and is grounds for having one's legally possessed firearms removed.

If the media were to get a hold of even a single incident involving FN defending their property claim over crown land, and a group of non-indigenous hunters using their firearms as a tool to assert what they think is their right over that same land; What do you think will happen to all of us, just wanting to use our weapons in a way that is actually prescribed by law?

I understand that not knowing what one is legally entitled to do in this situation is frustrating, but it's hopefully a temporary condition in BC. The lack of certainty is justifiably inspiring ire, but the best thing hunters can do is use that emotion to advocate for a resolution to the uncertainty, whatever it may be. In the interim, perhaps F&W clubs or the BCWF should all get together and assemble a legally informed "best practice statement or flowchart" for hunters planning on heading into territory potentially under dispute. Thoughts?