Thread: 3-13 Camp recommendations

3-13 Camp recommendations

Hi everyone, I have a doe draw for Nov1-30 in 3-13. I've hunted extensively East of Merritt and South of Kelowna but never this far West. I would appreciate it if anyone can recommend a good place to set up basecamp. Anywhere with decent water, a little off the main roads, and hangs already set up would obviously be preferable.

Oh and if anyone has any secret honey holes they don't mind sharing, there is a case of beer in it for you!

Tha

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3-13 Camp recommendations

Will PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by coastcrickets View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a doe draw for Nov1-30 in 3-13. I've hunted extensively East of Merritt and South of Kelowna but never this far West. I would appreciate it if anyone can recommend a good place to set up basecamp. Anywhere with decent water, a little off the main roads, and hangs already set up would obviously be preferable.

Oh and if anyone has any secret honey holes they don't mind sharing, there is a case of beer in it for you!

Tha
    Good luck! I had this exact draw last year and it was much tougher than anticipated. I had a couple groups of does on lockdown the two weeks leading up, could almost find them daily. Then October 31st at about 10pm it started dumping snow...! And they we're no where to be found haha, from my experience as soon as it snows they start their migration to lower elevations in haste.

Most of the does I did find were very frequent visitors to the corridors where powerlines run through. Find a high spot and glass. They will come to you.

There are a couple nice free camp grounds out that way, search hikes and campgrounds bc and a big list should come up.

Was in 3-13 last year for a moose LEH, Gillis lake has some nice spots, plus it has cell service in case of emergencies and weather checks etc. It's a bit far down close to the HWY but if you're willing to drive 10-15 mins you're in some good high country and valleys. lightning lake is good too, higher elevation if weather is good but can change in an instant up there, we got 10-12 inches of snow overnight last year. We barely made er out by mid day there was almost two feet of snow had to do some shoveling so keep an eye on the weather more than usual.

Yeah watch for snow that time of year, couple years ago we camped overnight at Gillis on our way to another spot, there was no snow when we got there but when we woke up there was a foot and it kept coming down. This was November 1.

Same thing happened to me about 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Good luck! I had this exact draw last year and it was much tougher than anticipated. I had a couple groups of does on lockdown the two weeks leading up, could almost find them daily. Then October 31st at about 10pm it started dumping snow...! And they we're no where to be found haha, from my experience as soon as it snows they start their migration to lower elevations in haste.

Most of the does I did find were very frequent visitors to the corridors where powerlines run through. Find a high spot and glass. They will come to you.

There are a couple nice free camp grounds out that way, search hikes and campgrounds bc and a big list should come up.

Same Nov 1, was chopping wood in a t-shirt one day, next day -5 and 2 feet of snow. I was actually hoping for a dusting of snow to help track but it absolutely dumped. On top of that that storm shut down the Coquihalla with no way to get out- what an adventure that was!

boss lake , davis lake, kane lake , harmon lake

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post

Had a doe draw there last year and it was tougher than I thought too. Spent a few weekends in October looking for any buck and only found does, then the first weekend in November I only found one doe, standing right behind a two point buck! Couldn’t get a clear shot.

Has anyone seen Whitetails in 3-13? or just Muleys?