Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk not calling.

Re: Elk not calling.

I am not sure i agree with you guys about them being quiet due to predators.. with the new easy to use calls on the narket, i think they are getting over called..

Maybe? I dunno
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Sep 1st heard bulls bugling in a remote basin got a video of a 6 by 5 rubbing didn't seem too hot fast forward to sep 10th without calling heard bugles all morning...went down in there that evening km of brutal hiking rocks and thick vegetation..glassed up a couple bulls that morning watched them bed..couple cow calls had him coming in fast screaming wind swirled game over did a loop went back to his cows..next day didn't hear a peep...the adapt to pressure very well...back driving my logging truck today 730 am seen a 6 by pushing his cows yo from the river no gun fackkkk

If the cows are coming into estrous later due to a lower body fat level that will push back rut activity a little. Could be a reason, was it a dry spring/summer up there that effected vegetation growth?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Pulled a smaller bull to 50 yards on the 10th, soft quiet bugles seemed to be the key. Came straight to me on a string from the timber.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I am not sure i agree with you guys about them being quiet due to predators.. with the new easy to use calls on the narket, i think they are getting over called..

Maybe? I dunno
    well that goes without say as well.
    I am sure there are a ton of areas, that get hit Sept 1 hard by hunters and their calls.
    And I suspect once one of the hunters gets winded, the gigs up, and they know what time it is.
    Then again, how many folks are also out there "pre season", scouting, and using their calls as well????
    Might be why even Sept 1st is quiet for some.

Low impact areas, will always have more calling replies I suspect.
    I do get the impression preds have made elk go into some "odd spots" they rarely used before.
    But, when the "heat is on", they still communicate with each other, and if you are lucky enough to be in the right spot at
    the right time, you will experiences their calls and replies.

Lets face it, you can have all the knowledge, skill, and physical ability in the world when hunting elk, but.....
    You still need "LUCK"!....period, for it to happen.

Buddy said he had bulls screaming in the peace. Heard a bugle out in vanderhoof on Monday but never seen it

I am a rookie when it comes to elk and this is my first year putting in an effort so take what I say with a grain of salt

All I know after my seven day set I am going to take my bad calling to the bush to try my luck lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Buddy said he had bulls screaming in the peace. Heard a bugle out in vanderhoof on Monday but never seen it

I am a rookie when it comes to elk and this is my first year putting in an effort so take what I say with a grain of salt

All I know after my seven day set I am going to take my bad calling to the bush to try my luck lol
    My dad bugles (even after way too many years at it), and sounds like an elephant with a bad cold!
    He still brings them in!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    My dad bugles (even after way too many years at it), and sounds like an elephant with a bad cold!
    He still brings them in!!!!!
    Then I have hope lol

Looking for my first elk so targeting the dumb ones anyway

I watched an elk party go down for two hours on September 9 with my boy and his rifle. Reg 8. The cows were noisy but the bull’s bugles were muted.

The next day they were nowhere to be seen or heard.
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    If the cows are coming into estrous later due to a lower body fat level that will push back rut activity a little. Could be a reason, was it a dry spring/summer up there that effected vegetation growth?
    We had an average spring/summer with the usually rain, crops are really good. Bull I killed has lots of fat!

Three bulls down so far this year: one came in silent but determined (4x5), one was screaming and being aggressive (7x2) and one bugled a few times but held up and finally showed when some branches were broke (5x5). It has been a mixed year and they are answering, but it seems you need to get close to them.

Good luck to all!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!