Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk not calling.

Elk not calling.

Just had a few messege from friends of mine up on the Muskwa.
    They’ve been elk hunting for 8 days now and haven’t heard a single bugle.
    Maybe it was a bit early to head in? In the past by this time of year the bulls are going at it. They’ve had 3 solid days of snow up high too.
    Tried helping as much as I can but not sure what to say now. Cow calls, bugles, hunting high looking down, hunting the timber. They’ve seen sign but just no critters. Weird.
    I think they’re still in the timber but you’d think they’d hear some calling at some point of the day.
    Ive killed My share of elk and seems these buggers rut when they want. I think they’re a bit early. They have a few more days. Not to panic yet. Haha

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk not calling.

I think it depends on where you are I was out last weekend in reg 4 and they were starting to talk... talked to the bro in law last night and he had a couple talking in one drainage . My buddy shot one 3 days ago with the bow brought him into 10 yards silent. Have not heard anything in 8 yet but it's coming!. Definitely not as much talking as there was 5-10 years ago a lot more coming in silent.

I too was in region 8 for 4 days n pretty quite. I didn’t here a peep. Lots of humans making noise though
    majorguns

Elk are pretty scatted up that way due to the preds and are learning to be silent.

Bull I got the other day came in quickly but silently.

Elk hunting ain't like it used to be....they are getting smarter

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Buddy and I were in the pink mountain area in the end of August for any bull moose, we came upon a drainage where multiple cow elk were talking and two bulls were sparing, but not bugling....

I think many will have to come to the realization, that you may have to stay put for some time, as like Sitka said,
    they do tend to come in more quiet then some years ago.
    And they can take their time as well to come in.

there are lots of reasons elk don't call at times ,,heat can be a big factor,pressured by predators,humans pressured the elk short and sweet.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

The muskwa is a zoo for that elk hunt, the launch probably has 200 vehicles, and the elk just move on as there a lot of traffic on that river that really gets none for the rest of the year, add wolves etc ... I would be quiet too
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Ya I hunted it years ago when it wasn’t too bad. Lots of game around back then. Haven’t been up there in years but thought it would have been a good place for the young guys to get their feet wet in the world of elk hunting and putting on mountain miles.
    Oh, they did eventually shoot a 5x6 in his bed however he was quiet as a mouse.
    Very weird to not even send out any calls.
    I would think too many wolves. They were quite a ways off the river away from traffic but elk were silent.
    Wolves need a good cull!!

Just got back from Wart ST John area and didn't hear anything but other hunters bugling. Maybe they've learned how to text!