Thread: A few questions about the December WT season

A few questions about the December WT season

Hello HBC,
    I’m looking at heading out for the December WT season and am wondering if you guys could offer a little advice. I’d like to find an area I can go to in both October for rifle season and the December bow season so I’m that much more familiar with the area in December but I’m not sure if that’s going to work out just because of weather. It will probably be easier to get farther in during October.

I plan on stand hunting in December. What do you recommend for a beginner without gear? Probably just make some kind of ground blind with logs/trees etc?

Is there a better week in December to go?

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A few questions about the December WT season

We always go as late as possible. Snow will push them into wintering ground. Ground blind works. Just dress warm. I like to take a wool blanket to an open blind.

There can be a big difference in the snow conditions from oct to dec, sometimes in the interior it can snow pretty heavy in november and early dec so that may be a problem getting around. I would concentrate on finding a good wt spot for oct and hope it doesn't snow to much to impeed your access for a later hunt. Whitetails are best hunted middle to end of November for the right timing for the rut imo, anytime is the right time if your schedule wont allow for a november hunt.

Thanks for the info. Earlier today I ended up booking the first week of December off since it looks like November might be tough for me to get out. I have a decent bush 4x4, chains and some snowshoes so I will be able to get about as far in as anyone else. Hopefully I can find a decent spot though. I better start reading up on white tails, as little as I know on hunting they are something I know even less about.

River bottoms are a good starting point. Cattle guards create travel routes do to brush cut away from the fence. Get in the thick stuff and think short range shooting. WT can be nocturnal when visiting open areas but they still move in the bush. Sign is more important then actual sightings when picking ambush locations. Think lazy travel when looking for WT and remember they are built to run not bound around mountains

There is some random info from a WT hunter for starters lol

And locations where evergreens meet poplar forest have treated me well

Thanks WO, always appreciate how willing you are to share info/knowledge

Do you have trail cams?

They come in handy even if your just in an area for 7 days

Trick I have used is first day basically none stop short hike into anything that looks promising jump in the truck and repeat. I am not truly hunting but more speed scouting. I am not being sneaky basically just looking for sign. Often I see flags at best doing this.

I carry 3-4 trail cams set them out in most promising looking locations but start hunting the best looking area the next day no cam set in this location. Can’t get caught up using the first day to hunt except you are only setting up locations

first 3 days I check cams mid day. If a cam shows more daylight activity then the location I started hunting I switch. After that it is all day sits till I tag a WT or run out of time

Not as good as long term trail cam use but it can save you from sitting on locations with nocturnal deer. It can be highly effective in the rut if you set on rut sign

You asked about stands and blinds well they both have perks and in a pinch hiding under low hanging evergreen bows works too.

Stands give great visual advatage to you and deer seem to notice them less but you give up comfort, need a good tree, and your out in the elements

Blinds can be set anywhere, can add heat, and keep you out of the elements but your scent is on the deers level, give up visibility, and they are more intrusive causing some deer to be cautious till the blind has bee there a long time

Hiding in natural spots works but gives you most of the negatives of stands/blinds perks it’s free, it’s natural, and you don’t need to hike it in