Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you're feeding RAW, should grouse be OFF the menu?

If you're feeding RAW, should grouse be OFF the menu?

Although my dog is not on the Raw Diet program, I do feed her quite a few turkey necks and chicken backs.

Every year I do a lot of grouse hunting during the first month of the season. When I shoot them I do the "step on the wings" thing and just take the breasts home,,,,, then I'll fillet the meat off the bone. Normally, I'd take what is left out to the bush and dump it for other animals to eat but it's very similar to what I'm giving my pup now,,,,,except it's wild.

I was wondering if I should give my dog the breast bone with what little meat is left on it? I know there isn't a safety or health issue here but would I be opening up a can of worms by allowing her to eat wild game bird meat/bones? The last thing I'd hate to see happen is for her to chomp down on a wild bird during a retrieve because she's become familiar with the taste of it.

Hopefully someone has been in this position before. Wondering what the results were?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: If you're feeding RAW, should grouse be OFF the menu?

My dogs pretty much live off grouse duck and goose carcasses for September October and November. No issue what so ever. Great use of what would be waste. They eat it fur feathers and all.. mind you I have German shepherds.

Depends on what you want your dog for. Never feed a gundog raw game bird meet, unless you want to risk a "Mallard Muncher"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I do feed her quite a few turkey necks and chicken backs.
    I have removed a number of them from the esophagus of smaller dogs (Jack Russell size). Especially turkey neck vertebrae are the perfect size and spiky enough to get lodged; typically in their chest right above their heart. Removal is tricky and complications further down the road due to strictures have been reported. Not all patients survive, unfortunately. Chicken backs have a larger diameter and can get stuck in larger dogs. Typical scenario is dog 1 is eating them, dog 2 comes along; dog 1 does not want to share and downs the thing whole.

Quote Originally Posted by 35rem View Post
    I have removed a number of them from the esophagus of smaller dogs (Jack Russell size). Especially turkey neck vertebrae are the perfect size and spiky enough to get lodged; typically in their chest right above their heart. Removal is tricky and complications further down the road due to strictures have been reported. Not all patients survive, unfortunately. Chicken backs have a larger diameter and can get stuck in larger dogs. Typical scenario is dog 1 is eating them, dog 2 comes along; dog 1 does not want to share and downs the thing whole.
    I give them to the dog frozen so she actually does have to chew them a whole lot more slowly than if they're fresh or thawed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Depends on what you want your dog for. Never feed a gundog raw game bird meet, unless you want to risk a "Mallard Muncher"
    That's why I'm asking the question, Jim. Will a dog recognize a frozen grouse breast bone and realize that is what he fetched up two days earlier? Will they put 2 + 2 together?

Smell and taste is the same, there will be blood on the dead bird that will likely trigger the desire to crunch. IMHO it is better to be safe than sorry.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I give them to the dog frozen
    I also see a lot of dogs with tooth fractures from chewing on hard bones and antlers. If you feed it frozen hard I would worry about her teeth as well. Good thing we had a thread about pet insurance as well

Quote Originally Posted by 35rem View Post
    I also see a lot of dogs with tooth fractures from chewing on hard bones and antlers. If you feed it frozen hard I would worry about her teeth as well. Good thing we had a thread about pet insurance as well
    I don't think pet insurance covers dental ^^

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I don't think pet insurance covers dental ^^
    Some do, some don't, buyer beware.
    Our old Gal cracked a tooth, maybe at age 3 or 4, presumably due to raw bone eating just as 35rem said. Our pet insurance paid for the extraction and as preventative measures we limited her to softer bones after that. The Vet did say at the time that there were many benefits to raw and bones but there were also things that weren't quite as good.