Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Garmin Inreache Expolrer

New Garmin Inreache Expolrer

Does anyone have any practical experience with new models that Garmin has out?
    I am curious what the topo mapping works like in B.C.

I have the original inreache explorer before Garmin bought them and find the GPS functions archaeic and battery eating.

Any comments, feedback, or thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Garmin Inreache Expolrer

I have the garmin inreach mini. Nice and small if you want to just bring it along for the SOS and pre-programmed message functions. Then, if you want to type out longer messages or use it as a GPS you can pair it (bluetooth) with Garmin's earthmate app which has a 1:25000 north america topo map on it. I've found it to work very well for messaging and the gps function works well too. Though not as good for nav as a dedicated GPS by any means.

The map is OK but not great, like mGudmund said pairing it with your phone and using the app is better resolution. I like it overall for its messaging and SOS functions as I am solo most of the time but its definitely a compromise. The inreach mini was not available yet when I bought mine, that is probably the route I would go now. Mini for messaging and emergency capabilities and a dedicated GPS for navigation

Battery life on the new units is amazing. I don't use mine for navigating, so can't comment on the maps.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I have the Garmin inreach explorer, very happy with it. The maps are basic but they work great and I have zero complaints.

Go with the mini. Or wait for garmin to release a new model that is 100% compatible with basecamp and has an SD slot for a backgrounds map book chip.

how does messaging work?
    it says that you need to send an SMS or email first to the recipient before they can reply , can the recipient save that as a contact and then send a message back at a later time ? or do you need to keep your thread and keep conversing on that that thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by jorick View Post
    how does messaging work?
    it says that you need to send an SMS or email first to the recipient before they can reply , can the recipient save that as a contact and then send a message back at a later time ? or do you need to keep your thread and keep conversing on that that thread ?
    I just got the mini and tested this.

i sent my GF a message and then sent one to my one phone

They came from two DIFFERENT phone numbers ...... so saving the number it came from is probably not a good idea.

Not a big deal for me as i can always be the first to send one of my preset "all is well" messages.

can your gf relpy on that thread as long as you don't delete that thread ? over a few days ?

Quote Originally Posted by jorick View Post
    can your gf relpy on that thread as long as you don't delete that thread ? over a few days ?
    I haven't tested that yet. I just got it today.

What i don't understand is how to communicate with another inReach ..... if you have to send a msg first to start, how do you know what the number of the other inReach is to send it to? :/