Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Triple Header for the Kids

Opening Day Triple Header for the Kids

I've enjoyed 5 nice years of hunting with my 16yr old daughter Morgan. But we left for Region 8 with her younger siblings Kullen (11) and Keira (12) for their very first deer season. We were also camped with Steeleco and family and I invited newer member Petros65 and his 14yr old son Jason to come along. They both came over from South Africa and they were in the core class with my 2 youngest.

We met up Friday night the day before Sept 1st. Joked around.....Petros told the kids he faxed the ministry for an order for 3 deer for the kids...... relaxed at camp and kids went to bed early

Up at 4 30am and off we go to some of my favorite spots for deer.

Got to an area of the mountain and we hiked in to a little spot that I wanted to sit with them over looking a small bowl. We saw a doe at 300 yrds but it was sooooo windy and our scents swirling I decided to pack it up and go for a drive into a different spot. On our way in we saw 6 deer at 200 yrds. A 3x4 buck and does. By the time I got Keira set up on the bog pod he was at 300yrds and standing broadside. So we watched for a bit and they wandered off. Great start but too far for her skills to be sure.

Off we go again to another area.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Opening Day Triple Header for the Kids

Coming out the kids bagged 6 grouse on one corner. Kullen very excited as he loves them more than chicken

On our way into another spot we pass a man and his 14 yr old son gutting a spiker. Stopped and chatted for a moment. Congrats to them and we kept going. About 10mins in my son says "Deer" And older Morgan says "BUCK"

I and my daughter Keira got out of the truck and I set her up on the sticks again. There standing broadside is a very nice tall spiker. He wasnt moving an inch. I talked her through it...... breathing..... find him in the scope......I made sure what was behind the target.......it seemed like forever and it was probably about 10 mins with this buck thinking. If I dont move maybe they wont see me. But Keira was nervous.....excited ...... and couldnt settle down. I didnt want to ruin this for her so I whispered if she wanted me to get her younger brother Kullen. She said yes..... I whispered to Morgan to send out the back up shooter. Kullen was out like a shot but moving slowly to not scare the deer. He settled in behind the scope...... I talked him through the same info as his sister. I cant believe this buck was still here and not moving. I whisper...... you found him in the scope.......yes..... ok....we talked about shot placement one more time....... "when you feel comfortable dont pull..... squeeze the....." BOOM And his first buck dropped like a rock. 78 yrds and no tracking. That 7mm 08 and TTSX bullets have done well over the years for his older sister Morgan and it did it again.

We walked over..... made sure it was dead. He was excited.... shaking.... nervous..... he explained later while gutting that it is sure different in real life and not like video games..... yes son..... very true. He never felt the recoil of course.

Kids helped me gut and drag and he cut his tag himself with little instruction from me.

Last edited by Elkhound; 09-06-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Keep the pictures coming !

Congrats. There is nothing better than recruiting the next generation to the lifestyle.

Awesome family hunt ! Way to go !
    Arctic Lake

AND? I know there's more and you can't use "at work" as an excuse! You started this, finish it!!!!!!!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Deer in the back of the truck and super excited family we decided it was after 10am we would hunt our way back down then go back to camp for lunch. Not even an hour later we see 3 deer cross the road in front of the truck. One a small buck

Stopped I whisper to Keira she was up again if she wanted. She said yes...... so out we go and set up on the sticks again. 40 yrds and that buck would not give us a shot. Every time he went broadside the doe was behind him. Then the walked into the bushes...... Keira was disappointed thinking her chance was gone. I said lets move in slowly and off to the side and maybe we might get lucky. We made our way closer and tried from another angle. There in an open lane way of bush 25yrds from us was a doe. I set her up again...... doe walked behind cover and 10 sec later the other doe stood broadside in the same tracks as the first....... I whispered to Keira. Get ready......that buck is following the other 2 deer. 10sec later the buck stopped broadside in the same spot looking right at us. Boom....... no hesitation this time. The buck hunched... I knew shot was good and it stepped out of view.

We waited....listened..... nothing. I knew it didnt go far. We walked up to the stump the deer was standing in front of. you could see the pass through of the bullet into the stump

Then the blood trail so I could teach the kids to follow

Tracked for about 20ft and there he was.

Thats the exit...... perfect heart and lungs we found out a few mins later

That’s awesome, we did well as well, we took 6 out of 7 bucks home, 4 youth bucks which 1 was a first time hunter and 2 archey bucks and one of those was a first time kill, it was a great weekend
    Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do (Stick with a rifle. Let cupid shoot the arrows lol.)

Congrats folks, good job, and thanks for the post and pics!

2 youths with their first opening day. And 2 bucks in the truck before lunch. Tagged out on day one. Back to camp we go. We saw over 20 deer that day and had a great time together.

No phones..... no kids fighting...... Just a hell of a time in the mountains enjoyed together.

Came back to camp to find out Petros and son Jason never saw a damn thing. The kids and I hung and skinned the deer. Ate lunch. And my daughter Morgan and I decided we would take out Petros and Jason for the evening hunt. I knew a place I have been watching for a few years and gets no pressure as its a 1.5 km hike in.

We left camp for the evening the 4 of us. The mountain was a parade of trucks. Trucks everywhere. We saw nothing. I told them. No worries. As long as we can park where I wanted we were good to go.

Got up the back of the mountain and no one there. Yessssssssssss. Parked and hiked in. got to the hidden bowl I wanted and just as we crest the top. Petros whispers.... deer. We get down.....and yes... 200yrds in. a doe. Up goes the binos. As you all know. How many times does on doe turn into many deer. Sure enough. 3 deer. 2 bucks and a doe.

We line up Jason on his shooting sticks and we watched that deer for 20 mins before it gave us the perfect shot Jason needed. His dad and I taked to him the whole time making sure it went smoothly. We decided to move him to a stump as it was steadier than the sticks. It worked. First opportunity that buck gave Jason squeezed the trigger on that .308 Hes been practicing at the range for months just for this exact moment. Again.....one of the kids makes a great shot. Deer fell over and only went 10 yrds.

I know Jason was pretty happy but nothing compared to his old man.