Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooling meat in water

Re: Cooling meat in water

I've done this with great success on numerous blacktails. I think the rapid cooling is really good for the meat. That said, I've never had to then store the meat in the field for prolonged periods. I was always able to get them to a hanging fridge within 48 hours. I know a lot of people say not to put them in water because of bacteria growth. Do you expect you'll be doing this on long trips?

I'm going on a backpack/canoe moose hunt later this month and I've been wondering what approach we'll take for meat care in the field. Part of me wants to rinse/cool it in a creek or cold lake and part of me worries that could introduce bacteria. If we get a moose, we probably won't have it on ice for about 48 hours. I guess it'll depend a bit on what water sources are available and what the air temps are. More research is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Bchunt View Post
    That sucks. Probably would have been gone hanging in a tree too. I usually try to find a good cut bank with a deep hole and let them sink. Just a rope tied off to a tree. Load with boat when ready to go.
    Yeah, the only trees around were the ones we camped under... and they weren't exactly bear proof either.

Hmm still thinking this over..dont like the idea of no air...hmmm
    I still would wash/wipe the meat off with 70 % vinegar..30 % bottled water..or citric acid to lower the ph level which keeps the meat from turning for ? 4 days ..which is tge reason for your water bath..keeping the meat from spoiling..
    Steven

About rinsing meat with creek water, to get any dirt/hair/etc.. off the quarters of moose or bullet hole area, we've always used a bit of white vinegar in a bucket of apparently clean running creek or lake water. Never hurt the meat, it would crust over once dry and butchers always complimented us on how clean the meat was. Figure the white vinegar would kill any bad bacteria in said water. Takes a lot of paper towels sometimes thou.

We have used Home Depot heavy duty contractor bags with the meat deboned and then placed them in a cold creek. It worked with sheep meat in August for 8 days plus two days drive home. I don’t think the bags are food grade but we are not heating it either. Works for me.

Have used plastic bags and also pack boxes in water to cool meat
    but have also made it a practice to take the chunks out when the flys are down and let it air dry some
    Not to the point of getting crusty , just to where it is dry and doesn't stick together or to the bags, and no pools of blood
    Don't know where or why we started but has always been good eats and makes handling cleaner
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Make a swamp cooler..
    Small radiator,hose,12vpump and fanand a tarp. Good battery and a solar panel.hang the meat tarp and set up fan behind rad. Keeps it cool enough as long as water is cold.

Sounds like a lot of effort for meat

but would make a great beer cooler )
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I use airplane vcuum bags u put a vacuum on to suck air out with. I use a portable 12 volt vacuum. Hng overnight until the meat tightens up before u use the bags. I can put one elk quarter in large vacuum bag

I have done this in warm weather before works good just don't let the water get into your meat in the bags
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..